News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Forum Spy

Started by wk38, May 22, 2007, 07:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannii

Small = 0 bytes IMO :P
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

karlbenson

The error was the full error message that I get in IE7.

Daniel15

Quote from: eldʌkaː on May 27, 2007, 04:56:16 AM
Small = 0 bytes IMO :P
The root element is still needed in order to be a valid XML response ;).
A bare-minimum (empty) response would be:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<smf:xml-feed xmlns:smf="http://www.simplemachines.org/" xmlns="http://www.simplemachines.org/xml/recent">
</smf:xml-feed>
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Dannii

It doesn't need to be xml though. The xml header is basically useless too.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Daniel15

Quote from: eldʌkaː on May 28, 2007, 04:20:29 AM
It doesn't need to be xml though. The xml header is basically useless too.
Because I'm processing the result via the browser's XML parser, I'm thinking that the parser might choke if it's not XML (I'd have to check this). I suppose I could always check to see if the result is blank, and if so, don't parse it as XML.
And the XML header is needed on all XML files, I think?
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.

Dannii

The xml header isn't needed. I'd recommend JSON anyway. Your library should have a secure parser.

Daniel15

Quote from: eldʌkaː on May 28, 2007, 06:04:31 AM
The xml header isn't needed. I'd recommend JSON anyway. Your library should have a secure parser.
Yes, the library I'm using has a JSON parser.
I'm still going to use XML because it's (XML output) inbuilt to SMF. This is designed as a simple addon to SMF, not a full-blown thing.

Dannii

Are you just using the normal xml feed? I thought you were making a new one. Use the xml parser then :)

Daniel15

Quote from: eldʌkaː on May 28, 2007, 08:49:32 AM
Are you just using the normal xml feed? I thought you were making a new one. Use the xml parser then :)
Yeah, just the normal XML feed... That's why I did not want to modify it that much.
The current version requires almost no modifications to SMF (except for index.php, to add the "recentlive" action). I'm going to modify the XML feed to optimise it a bit, but that will be very small (as I mentioned above, allow a "last msg id" parameter, and only return posts newer than this).

Daniel15

It looks like the error in IE is occuring because it doesn't properly support the getElementsByTagName method on an XMLResponse object. I'll try investigate how to fix this, although I'm not too good with JavaScript, so I'm really not sure how to approach it.

karlbenson

I'm not too good at it either.

But a google search suggests that
http://dev.jquery.com/ticket/750

maybe useful to you.

Paracelsus

bumping this thread, since this is a longtime awaited feature for SMF... perhaps this would be better in coding discussion ;)

SlammedDime

I already have this in the works.  Alundra wanted something like this, only with a better name.  Stay tuned...
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

digit

:P

Did this become the Ajax Recent Topic mod?

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1284

8)

BTW - I found this by searching for "json"

It would be very cool to be able to write json files on the fly to do stats charts, using this.....

http://teethgrinder.co.uk/open-flash-chart-2/tutorial-4.php

Happily using a heavily modified 1.1.16 version of SMF!

2748011 Posts in 320998 Topics by 50986 Members

SOLD my website - thanks it was a good run - they converted to vbadvanced. (and screwed it up good!)

iMav

This would be awesome to have.  One of the things my members are complaining about since the painful (but necessary) migration from vB.

emanuele

There is a link to a mod just above your post... :P

BTW: welcome to sm.org iMav! ;)

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Advertisement: