News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Mutiple Forums with shared users, is it possible?

Started by mattisme, September 29, 2004, 12:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattisme

A friend of mine want's a forum of her own, and the content is related to that on my own forum, but different enough to be a separate forum.

That being said...  Is it possible to share the MySQL tables that contain the user info (name, password, the essentials for logging in)?
Both forums and databases will be on the same server.

IF, it is not possible to SHARE the data, then is it possible to script the databases to modify each other? (so when a user registers or makes a profile change on one forum, it automatically registers or changes the needed info in the other fourms database?)

-Matt

Richard Rhoden

Hello, actually something along the same lines as you are wanted is almost here, we are currently in the process of adding in Simple Machines support to EchoForum now, EchoForum would allow you to share message content between both your systems, acting more like sister websites.  Perhaps setting up a 2nd category on your system listing her forums and she does the same on her site and then you both exchange messages, any messages posted on her site would be "echoed" to the forum you choose on your site and vice-versa.  We also support several other forum types and importing of other types of content as well such as newsgroups, listservs, etc...  We are in beta right now and taking applications for new members.

This might be along the lines of what you are looking for, for more information, specific features, etc... you can visit http://www.echoforum.com

Have fun!
Richard - The "Echo" Team
Share your forum content with thousands of sites and add
discussion content from hundreds of categories to your forums.

EchoForum.com - The Shared Community  Solution.

mattisme

not quite... I'm looking for a way of scripting or modifying MySQL to effectivly copying or sharing tables among itself (or maybe with help, but I want it all to be done on the same server).  And i'm not concerned about shared CONTENT.  I want users to be able to register once, and be able to log into either forum.

I will keep Echo in mind for other purposes though.  Me & some friends are working on creating an integrated community where Echo may come in handy in some parts of the development.

Richard Rhoden

ahhh.... ok  ;) Don't know of anything for that right off.  And thanks for the kind words, we'll keep an eye out for ya in the future. enjoy.
Richard - The "Echo" Team
Share your forum content with thousands of sites and add
discussion content from hundreds of categories to your forums.

EchoForum.com - The Shared Community  Solution.

Amacythe

Why not just create seperate categories in the same forum and use permissions to decide which new members access which areas?  Team up and double a single board.

littlefish

I am planning to convert from Snitz to SMF. In Snitz this was relatively easy. One would install a 2nd (or 3rd ... ) forum with a different tables' prefix and then point the second forum to the first forum's members/users table. Can this be done in SMF? Thanks.

SMF is very appealing.

[Unknown]

That's exactly how you do it with SMF, too.  Search for "share database".

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: