News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

question about user groups

Started by marcnyc, October 07, 2004, 08:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcnyc

In my board I have 4 regular groups (admin, super moderator, moderator and normal users) plus I have 5 groups based on no. of posts, which have one to five stars, depending on how much they posted (which I think is the standard way SMF comes with on a fresh installation).
Here is my question: if I view the full members list and I look at the "position" column I will see that all the users that have more than two stars have the name of the by-no.-of-posts group, which is what I expect to see. What I don't understand is why the users that should be part of the 1-star group (by no. of posts) are listed instead of with the name of that group with the name of the regular group (normal users) which is really the group of which all members are part, independently from no of posts.
Sounds a bit cryptic the way it came out, I hope you understood what I mean...

A.M.A

is this what you have done ..
Admin --> Edit Membergroups --> Regular groups (Add group: normal users)
then went to a user profile and changed its Primary Membergroup to (normal users).
Really sorry .. real life is demanding my full attention .. will be back soon hopefully :)

marcnyc

is this a question or are you suggesting I do this?

A.M.A

That what I did and it looked fine when viewing the Member list .. just making sure that what you want to do.
Really sorry .. real life is demanding my full attention .. will be back soon hopefully :)

marcnyc

Let me explain.
I have these REGULAR GROUPS:
1. ADMIN
2. SUPER MODERATOR
3. MODERATOR
4. SUBSCRIBED USERS

The fourth group called SUBSCRIBED USERS contains all users except me (I am the admin).

In the section below that, there are the groups that are based on the number of posts, and there I have:
1. NEWBIE (1 star) - up to 99 posts
2. COMING BACK (2 stars) - from 100 to 249 posts
3. REGULAR (3 stars) - from 250 to 499 posts
4. ALL-TIMER (4 stars) - from 500 to 999 posts
5. ALWAYS HERE (5 stars) - from 1000 posts and up

Now when I go to the MEMBER LIST and I view the list of all the subscribers with their position, number of posts, user name etc, I see that:
1. all the users that have posted more than 500 times are listed as "ALL-TIMER" in their porisition (GOOD)
2. all the users that have posted more than 250 times and less than 499 times are listed as "REGULAR" in their porisition (GOOD)
3. all the users that have posted more than 100 times and less than 249 times are listed as "COMING BACK" in their porisition (GOOD)

...and...

4. all the users that have posted up to 99 posts are NOT listed as "NEWBIE" (as I expected) but instead they are listed as "SUBSCRIBED USERS" in their position. WHY?

roboter88

Does 4. SUBSCRIBED USERS include ungrouped members?

marcnyc

How can I tell? Looking at the number of users I would guess so...

roboter88

Any member is ungrouped basicly...u can check in admin ->  edit membergroups here asign ur custom group as done with not based off posts.

Now you should only see members which this group after assigned?

cheers

marcnyc

Sorry I must be stupid but I am not sure what you mean.
I have already created my groups, five of which are based on the posts and the other one is simply a group that collects all users. Should I remove that one?

marcnyc

Yes that worked... I have deleted the group not based on posts and that seems to have worked. Just out of curiosity, is that what you meant?

roboter88

You can change at least custom member group behaviuors later, so you dont have to delete it?

What is it stating in ADMIN -> Edit Permissions

Your custom Member Group not based on posts , did it showing now still members assigned to your new custom mebers group?

marcnyc

In my permissions page it shows 52 users that are not part of any group and then it shows the number of users for the 5 custom groups that I had made. Before I guess I had a group (not based on posts) that would encompass those 52 members, except the name of that group would take priority over the name of the groups by post. I still don't know why, and the reality is, it wasn't a big deal, I just was trying to understand, that's all

roboter88

Yes, i also try to understand basicly a new user is only affected from post of TITLEs
Then they can get  a GROUP Membership eg Moderator Group or Subscriber.

You created the new Group based on posts so all your ungrouped members were automaticly assigned because they had either NULL post or some.

marcnyc

Yes I understand that all the subscribers were assigned to the non-by-post group because (by exclusion) they were not administrators or moderators or super-moderators. All that I did not understand is why in the Members List users with less than 100 posts were shown as part of that non-by-post group and all the ones who posted more than 100 times were actually shown as part of the by-post groups that I had created... it's like if the non-by-post group that encompasses all members was taking priority over the by-post groups but was doing it only for the first one of them (the one with the lowest no of posts), which seems strange and unlogical. Either all users should have been shown as part of that non-by-post group (in the position column) regardless of how many times they had posted, or the first of the 5 by-post groups should have been used in the same way the following 4 were used... it just doesn't make any sense.

roboter88

I dont really understand what u mean :-)
Mybe you found a bug?

A member can have diffrent groups assigned to him so did you mean the display were wrong and after you recreated the group is the problem still present ?

marcnyc

No the problem is not present anymore.
I understand that a member can be assigned to different groups, but what I don't understand is why and according to what logic these groups are shown in the Members List. If there is a group that contains ALL users why are only SOME users shown as part of that group and other users are shown as part of other groups (by posts groups) even though ALL users are ALSO part of by-posts groups?
There might be a language barrier here and I don't know if it is a bug, but maybe if Unkown or some other lead developer could read this he/she could explain the logic of it.

[Unknown]

I didn't read down all of this, I have trouble reading many of roboter88's posts....

There are three groups of which members are part.  These are:
  - post groups.
  - primary groups.
  - additonal groups.

The person's post group is determined based on, and only based on, how many posts they have.  For example, someone with 105 posts would not be a Newbie, by default.

Primary groups are the "displayed" group this person is in.  If the primary group is missing, the post group is shown as the "position" instead.

Additional groups are "extra" groups.  These are hidden to all but administrators/special people, and never show.  Whether a person is in any or none of these will not affect the displayed "position".

Does that help?

-[Unknown]

marcnyc

Hell Unkown and thanks for stopping by.
Yes there is definitely a language barrer which didn't make it easy for me either.
Since I know you are busy I'll try to summarize for you based on what you wrote:
I am assuming that the post groups and the primary groups are those groups that appear when one goes to the group maintance section of the admin section.
I had 5 post groups plus I had one primary group that simply was a group (not based on no of posts) that contained ALL users. This primary group was listen right under Administrator, Moderator and Super Moderator.
My question is: when I view the Members List, why was I seeing (under the position column) the name of the primary group for all users that were part of the first (lowerst) post group and I was seeing the name of the post groups for the other 4 levels of users? In other words wouldn't it make sense that in the position column I either always see the primary group name for everybody or I see the post groups for everybody? Why half and half? Why primary only for newbies and post group names for the others?
All this thread was really only intended for me to understand so if this has to detract you from real and more important supporting don't waste your time on it, I just wanted to learn something.

[Unknown]

Well, I'm not sure.  How did you add everyone to this group?

-[Unknown]

marcnyc

Admin>Edit Member Groups>Add New Group
did not select anything in the "based on" drop down menu

Advertisement: