News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

keeping it simple

Started by saw, October 16, 2004, 05:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saw

I'm a minimalist, which means I've been looking at my new board with a view to stripping it down a bit. Can anybody help me with the following?:

- removing the 'key stats' panel (at least until I get some respectable figures...)

- removing the 'report to moderator' link in posts

- general editing of default wording and options not already covered in the Administration Center - including altering the Main Menu (adding or removing links)

- removing stars or indeed any graphics for membergroups. There doesn't seem to be an option for no stars.

Please bear in mind that I'm not a programmer and don't really know code. Simple cut-n-paste is my speed - that is, when I can find where it is I'm supposed to be pasting.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

PS. Does anybody know how to edit the email sent to people when they register?

PPS. Also still scratching my head over how to add my logo to the upper left, instead of 'My Community' - though I have at least figured out how to change the wording there.

Ben_S

QuoteI'm a minimalist, which means I've been looking at my new board with a view to stripping it down a bit. Can anybody help me with the following?:

- removing the 'key stats' panel (at least until I get some respectable figures...)

Edit index.template.php, it should be fairly self explanatory, there are comments in there so you should be able to find it easy enough.

Quote- removing the 'report to moderator' link in posts

Admin > Edit Permissions. Just disable it for the required groups.

Quote- general editing of default wording and options not already covered in the Administration Center - including altering the Main Menu (adding or removing links)

Check out the language files, the text is in there, if you want to add stuff, you will need to edit the relevant template files, the main menu is in index.template.php.

Quote- removing stars or indeed any graphics for membergroups. There doesn't seem to be an option for no stars.

Admin > Edit Membergroups > Modify. You can disable them there, just change the number to 0.

QuotePlease bear in mind that I'm not a programmer and don't really know code. Simple cut-n-paste is my speed - that is, when I can find where it is I'm supposed to be pasting.

The best way to learn is to jump in, you will be surprised how easy the template php files are to follow, they are well commented. Also a lot of what you want has been asked before so try searching this forum.

QuoteThanks in advance for any assistance.

PS. Does anybody know how to edit the email sent to people when they register?

Thats in one of the language files, they are logically named so it should be fairly easy to find.

QuotePPS. Also still scratching my head over how to add my logo to the upper left, instead of 'My Community' - though I have at least figured out how to change the wording there.

Thats in index.template.php, check the graphics and templates board here, it's bound to have been asked before.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

saw

Thanks very much. I have a long way to go up the learning curve but you've given me a good start.

The report to moderator/permissions thing I finally worked out for myself, but the no stars thing is still a problem - it defaults to 1, won't allow '0'.

I know probably everything I ask has been asked before, so I apologise for not doing a more thorough search. I think what happens with people like me, ie, non-technical and easily bewildered by their first few visits to the board as well as by much of the process of setting up their own forum - despite all the information out there - is we just want to get in and out quickly with the answers to our own little problems with the minimum of fuss. I think what this site needs is a large
DON'T PANIC button a la The Hitchhiker' Guide to the Galaxy.

Ben_S

Hmm, odd, replace the stars image with a transparent gif, that should get rid of it ;).

saw

I've just dipped my toe into some of the relevant files, and while it's true that I see helpful comments all over the place, it's still not easy for the non-techie to figure out just what to delete without screwing everything up. And finding what I'm looking for is proving difficult to begin with. I shall persevere...

The one thing I have had some luck with so far is replacing various .gifs

Ben_S

Check out the graphics and templates board if you havent already.

[Unknown]

Clear the field for the image to use for stars, and you can use 0.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: