Need to set maximum filename length for files attached to posts, and rename too

Started by Vince S, July 19, 2007, 06:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince S

The forum itself will tick over nicely regardless of what name an attachment is given. But start using spaces in it (which turn into %20's) or other symbols, and it becomes a problem to back up the forum into, say, your My Webs directory. This is because the filename length combined with the full path to the forum on your local drive exceeds windows total acceptable length.

The error that is given says something like unable to get write permission to the local server. This is doing a sync with Front Page 2003, but the problem will be similar with other means. Of course, one wastes time figuring out what has happened to access permissions before figuring out the true cause!

The workaround is to download the file in the forum, save it locally, rename it to something short, edit the post and delete the existing one and add the "new" one, presumably adding an explanation as to why this was necessary, and maybe recording the about-to-be-lost download counter.

The only option I could find in managing attachments as Admin was to delete them. The only upload restriction I could find was for file type, size etc. Options to replace, rename or set filename lengths would be pretty handy but they all eluded me. Presumably that is because they ain't there - but I know there are other possibilities!
Try figuring out where all this is going to keep coming from: Millionaire Baby? Or just pass me a beer and we'll sort it, thank you.....

Advertisement: