News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Mandrake Linux 10 wont boot for me

Started by weekend camper, October 21, 2004, 08:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekend camper

I am a complete newbie on Linux.  Bear with me.

I have an decent, used computer that I am playing with.

I did manage a successful install of the system ... but it was as the "multimedia/gaming/office" set up variety.

Then I added a small HD and a (second) CD spinner.

I have tried several times to get the "server" set up to install on it (it installs, just not load).

The error is something close to "couldn't load (initial) console". Try "init= option" in the (page that helps with error correcting).  (I found that screen, but didn't know how to enter/select init=option)

I've looked a bit around, but nothing seems to tell me what the heck I'm doing wrong.  A pointer in the right direction would be great.

[Unknown]

Interesting.  I don't know much about Mandrake, but I do remember that I found Debian easy to install once ;).

Didn't even know there was a 10 out for Mandrake, though.  What video card do you have in your computer?

-[Unknown]

Christian A. Herrnboeck

This happens sometimes with MdK 10.0... try upgrading to 10.1 when it comes out. In the meantime, press "I" when it shows the word Mandrake in green, do not let it load anything except for your video, and the main system processes! once you have it running, use mcc to update the OS. It should then work, and for the server, you need to individually select each package... I don't know why but 10.0 keeps forgeting some required libs if you just go with the default installation screen.
Hope this helps a tad...
Welcome to Linux ;-)
Christian

Farmers:Producing food for the world!

weekend camper

@ [unknown] - its an older NVidia TNT2 32meg card, so it should be ok?  I'll put it on the list to check.

@ fm-2 - thanks for the help.  I tried the simple approach of doing a minimal internet station install, but I got the same "kernel panic" message.  I'll have to research somemore.  Strange how I can't really find anything about this on the net though.  I'll try to get a more minimal install going on the weekend.

xhybridxxdragonx

Welcome to linux. This might help  :)

hxxp:linuxquestions.org [nonactive]

hxxp:www.linuxquestions.org/questions/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=30 [nonactive]

weekend camper

Thank you all.

I did manage to get it running again.... I did a clean auto install on one of the HDDs, and also did get into loading specific ... processes(?).  Its not a test server right now, but at least I can play with it some more until 10.1 becomes final.

:)

PS I am amazed at the helpfulness of the Linux community.  What a refreshing change.

Advertisement: