News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

time

Started by oscar2001, October 24, 2004, 04:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar2001

Got a member using a auto clicker to boost his online time, seems the pogram is targeting the "Show unread posts since last visit" link. I have confronted this person over it but dont really wanna ban him. Is there a way to stop or deter this practise?

ANy help,advise would be appreciated.

Trekkie101

Is that really a problem, if its a competition then disqaulify him, otherwise change it!  ;) Lower his post count just do stuff to bug him back.

[Unknown]

How often is it accessing this page?

How would you know it's the auto clicker?

-[Unknown]

oscar2001

I was alway suspicious and then it really started getting outa hand so I confronted him about it and he told me it was a valis one set at every few minutes.

I know I can reset his online time etc, just thought there maybe something you people know that I can use to deter people doing this. Hopefully he himself will stop it.

Trekkie101

this should work,

Change your cookies name to another name and it will log him out as he wont have the cookie.

Better wait till someone says this is okay to though im not sure.

Peter Duggan

Quote from: Trekkie101 on October 24, 2004, 09:56:41 AM
Change your cookies name to another name and it will log him out as he wont have the cookie.

So what's to stop him logging back in and starting all over again?

While you could always hack the code to keep his online time set to 0, I'd say that's too much effort for something so stupid, so it looks like you need to sort it out with him if you still want him as a member or ban him if you don't!

Trekkie101

Ive got it, kick his ass, big style and teach him not to do it again.

oscar2001

I guess it is stupid but thanks anyway  :(

Peter Duggan

Quote from: Peter Duggan on October 24, 2004, 10:07:38 AM
I'd say that's too much effort for something so stupid

Quote from: oscar2001 on October 24, 2004, 05:20:31 PM
I guess it is stupid but thanks anyway  :(

Just to be quite clear about this, I wasn't getting at *you*! :)

Grudge

At the very very least I'd ask him to point it at an undemanding page! The unread page is quite a resource hog if I remember, if he looked at, say www.yourforum.com/smf/index.php?action=login then it wouldn't drain your server as much :P
I'm only a half geek really...

oscar2001

Quote from: Peter Duggan on October 24, 2004, 06:20:41 PM
Quote from: Peter Duggan on October 24, 2004, 10:07:38 AM
I'd say that's too much effort for something so stupid

Quote from: oscar2001 on October 24, 2004, 05:20:31 PM
I guess it is stupid but thanks anyway :(

Just to be quite clear about this, I wasn't getting at *you*! :)

Thanks for the idea Grudge :)

Trekkie101

I still say kick his ass.

Advertisement: