News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Setting a forum as read only

Started by meester fox, October 24, 2004, 03:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meester fox

I have done a search in this site (as i usually do) to find the solution to my problem. but I can't seem to find one that really..helps me.

I have a "news" forum. of which, I want it so that members can only see it, and reply to it. but not start a new topic in it. and only moderators and administrators can start a new topic in it.

So how do I set the permissions for this?  it's a bit confussing.  And the solution to the other posts was to "clear it"  but... I don't know what thats about.   Should I uncheck the access?   

I got into manage forums, then click on the permissions for news.  now what do i have to change in here, in order to set this forum as read only?  (or is there a simpler way?)
Qdork is my SMF/mkportal website. Nothing amazing. A few mods, iTunes giveaways, and decent members.

weekend camper

be warned that this is coming from a newbie too.   ;D

go admin panel>member controls>edit permissions

and then look at the bottom of the page for "permissions by board"

find your news one, and hit local.

edit one member group (read only) and copy that to other groups.  Of course, leave the admin team alone.

I hope that is clear.

:)

meester fox

ok. i know how to get there and all.... but how do i set permissions to read only? what do i change, and to what?
Qdork is my SMF/mkportal website. Nothing amazing. A few mods, iTunes giveaways, and decent members.

Amacythe

In permissions

click [Loca] by the board you want to modify

click one of the membergroups that are not to be able to post to this board

find post replies and change both to [X] (disallow) rather than [A] (allow)

[Save Changes]

Select all other groups not allowed to post to the board (checkmark the boxes)

Set permissions like this group (select the first group you restricted)

[Set Permissions]

[Unknown]

For example, in the News and Updates board here, most people are disallowed the permission to "post new topics".  They still have the ability to "post replies".

-[Unknown]

meester fox

Advertisement: