News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Exposure Help...

Started by troiano86, August 11, 2007, 08:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troiano86

Hello Everyone,

I am fairly new to owning a forum. I personally think my forum is awesome.

Check it Out:  http://www.myplaceisyourplace.com [nofollow]

Anyways, So its Up and running, just a few mods that i need installed but i need some help, Getting it Exposed, and i don't know how to begin.

So i guess, i need some advise some guidance to get members and my board Popular and bringing in  some revenue.

So any Advise is Welcomed...Any Assistance is more then appreciated..

THANKYOU
William
"Those Who Do Not Dream, Must Not Hope For Anything"

HoTmetal

I'd spend some time reading here. Its not an overnight thing to get a forum big. It takes time.
Plan on spending 1-2 hours a day reading posts here, and 1-2 hours a day implementing said suggestions.

My advice is to have a plan. Whats your goal for your site? Not every site has to be huge to be successful. As your site grows, its needs will change. Your plan should cover 80% of this, the other 20% can be done on the fly as you learn.

I'm being very general because I'm not sure of your goals. There are 100's of posts here that can help you depending on your need. Ultimately, it is up to you. This is why many successful site build a good core team.

HoTmetal

Hello again troiano86.
I received your PM.

Quote from: your emailA Goal Of My Site is To Be Known and Very Active. My forum is basically a Chat About anything site, that rewards its members to earn some Money.

i would like to see my forum, be able to sustain its self and be profitable.

I guess I want my site, to be So Big... maybe Get's Bought Out By a Bigger Company????

I'm not too sure... i pretty new to this, maybe a few suggested Goals.. and ill sleep on some goals

QuoteChat About anything site, that rewards its members to earn some Money.
Well thats a pretty vague statement. In todays market you are competing with already established sites, big company's, etc. I'm not saying its impossible,  but I would recommend re-evaluating your plan. Find a niche'. Specialize. Judging by your site, you plan on paying members to post, but you don't go into detail on how. I recommend find a particular method for doing so.  Also keep in mind such a vague statement opens yourself up to people posting illegal ways to make money. IE scams. Then there's the legal aspect of it. It does no good to make 10 million then, get sued for 20 million :D

Quotei would like to see my forum, be able to sustain its self and be profitable
That's a more realistic goal IMHO. I still have the pay stub from the 1st check I received from Google.
It felt good. But even so, it wasn't free money. I spent tons of free time working on the site, learning as much as I could. But then, I was doing something I loved to do. I suggest doing the same.  It shouldn't be too hard to do with proper planning.

But just having a site that basically say "post here if you know how to make money" isn't the best way to get to that point. Unless you have something along those lines to offer, I don't see it happening. Most of the people who know how to make money in ways you are looking for, aren't going to goto your site and do your work for you. Its up to you to bring this information to your users. That is the work required to make the money. A web site doesn't make money on its own. It has to be set up to do so.

I'd re-look at your everyday life and go from there. I mean if you work on old cars, then start a site that relates to that. Or if you invest in stocks, start a site on something pertaining to them. IF you play game XyZ start a forum on that. 

But I must warn you. Starting a forum with the sole intent to make money without prior experience can prove to be a difficult task.

I don't mean to sound negative and or tell you it can't be done, because it can. It just take proper planning. I hope this helps....

troiano86

Quote from: rickC on August 12, 2007, 01:57:39 AM
Hello again troiano86.
I received your PM.

Quote from: your emailA Goal Of My Site is To Be Known and Very Active. My forum is basically a Chat About anything site, that rewards its members to earn some Money.

i would like to see my forum, be able to sustain its self and be profitable.

I guess I want my site, to be So Big... maybe Get's Bought Out By a Bigger Company????

I'm not too sure... i pretty new to this, maybe a few suggested Goals.. and ill sleep on some goals

QuoteChat About anything site, that rewards its members to earn some Money.
Well thats a pretty vague statement. In todays market you are competing with already established sites, big company's, etc. I'm not saying its impossible,  but I would recommend re-evaluating your plan. Find a niche'. Specialize. Judging by your site, you plan on paying members to post [nofollow], but you don't go into detail on how. I recommend find a particular method for doing so.  Also keep in mind such a vague statement opens yourself up to people posting illegal ways to make money. IE scams. Then there's the legal aspect of it. It does no good to make 10 million then, get sued for 20 million :D

Quotei would like to see my forum, be able to sustain its self and be profitable
That's a more realistic goal IMHO. I still have the pay stub from the 1st check I received from Google.
It felt good. But even so, it wasn't free money. I spent tons of free time working on the site, learning as much as I could. But then, I was doing something I loved to do. I suggest doing the same.  It shouldn't be too hard to do with proper planning.

But just having a site that basically say "post here if you know how to make money" isn't the best way to get to that point. Unless you have something along those lines to offer, I don't see it happening. Most of the people who know how to make money in ways you are looking for, aren't going to goto your site and do your work for you. Its up to you to bring this information to your users. That is the work required to make the money. A web site doesn't make money on its own. It has to be set up to do so.

I'd re-look at your everyday life and go from there. I mean if you work on old cars, then start a site that relates to that. Or if you invest in stocks, start a site on something pertaining to them. IF you play game XyZ start a forum on that. 

But I must warn you. Starting a forum with the sole intent to make money without prior experience can prove to be a difficult task.

I don't mean to sound negative and or tell you it can't be done, because it can. It just take proper planning. I hope this helps....

Alright, I see that, that will defiantly get me Going. Ill will take that advise and review and think about it.

Now,  what about Google Search Engine Placement?..Quite obviously being on the first or 2 page will help expose the site correct?

"Those Who Do Not Dream, Must Not Hope For Anything"

motiveight

Add your site to topsites, search engines (using mass addition sites), and put a link to your forum in your signature.

It takes a long time, even now my forum is still growing (25 users in 4 months) but still, its doing better now that i've tried. :)
MotiveighT Music Forum: Assistance for Bands, Free music for fans.

Get MotiveighTed, Join The Revolution

Advertisement: