News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] Invisionfree/ActiveBoards/iPBfree

Started by nneonneo, August 13, 2007, 11:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madbullet

Is there anyway to convert forumotion phpbb3 theme for SMF? I hate forumotion but I love their themes and smf themes are ok but I really want this 1 theme form them please can anyone help me?!

nneonneo

@Madbullet: this is a converter for posts, topics and members (data), not themes; you might want to ask on the Graphics and Templates board (http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=34.0).
Check out the AJAX Shoutbox (my one and only mod to date :P)
Do you like SMF? Are you using ProBoards, InvisionFree, ActiveBoards or some other web-hosted forum? I can help you convert to SMF (without having to purchase a DB conversion)...contact me [nneonneo {at} gmail *dot* com], and see this topic
spammers here!

el canadiano

nneonneo, thanks for the conversion script. I am currently converting an IPB Forumer forum to SMF, but I'm currently confused on what to do after running members_smf.py. In Execute the SQL script, does that mean upload the two SQL files through phpMyAdmin (well, could you re-iterate that)? Also, I don't get the significance of the PM thing. Does it rely on that it will be sent through email?

nneonneo

Yes, it means to import the SQL. I will clarify this in a future release.

PMs will be sent as Forumer personal messages: they will tell users on the old Forumer forum where to find the new forum and what their converted password is.
Do you like SMF? Are you using ProBoards, InvisionFree, ActiveBoards or some other web-hosted forum? I can help you convert to SMF (without having to purchase a DB conversion)...contact me [nneonneo {at} gmail *dot* com], and see this topic
spammers here!

el canadiano

Alright, thanks for all the clearing up, my fellow Canadian :).

el canadiano

By the way, after importing categories_forums_smf, topics_posts_smf, and members_smf, all the posts are orphaned, while all the forums are located in "Lost Category." Everything else seemed to be good. I'm converting everything to here.

http://rockbandforums.ej.am/index.php

This is the forum I'm attempting to convert.
http://dashing.5.forumer.com/index.php?

nneonneo

spammers here!

el canadiano

No. The python script ran almost flawlessly (there were a few date errors but nothing's wrong with that). As a matter of fact, my URL says this.

# URL to your index.php file
URL='http://dashing.5.forumer.com/index.php'

I'm actually trying to convert a Zetaboards forum too, but I'm having difficulty on the zetaboards_get_cookie part. I enter my username/password (I am an admin), and all I get is the Unknown error occurred; try again? error.

I'll be quite frank with you though. I do appreciate your efforts, but I'm actually going to convert and merge these two forums (the Zetaboards and the forumer) into one using a different software. Might phpBB be a better option? I do appreciate your efforts.

nneonneo

Ah. Forumer made a code change, which is why the forums got lost.

In the members_topics_posts script, change
repstrings=[("""<div id='navstrip' align='left'>.+<a href='"""+URL+"""\\?showforum=(\\d+)'>[^<]+?</a></div>\\n<br />""","""<^>FORUM<|>\\1</^>"""),
to
repstrings=[("""<div id='navstrip' align='left'>.+<a href='"""+URL+"""\\?showforum=(\\d+)'>[^<]+?</a>""","""<^>FORUM<|>\\1</^>"""),
(delete </div>\\n<br /> from the line).

Let me know if that works for you.

As for the ZetaBoards issue, presumably you are trying to convert http://dashingforums.com/? The URL is 'http://dashingforums.com/';, without /index/, and not on zetaboards.com due to the redirection.

If you want to merge the two, it's possible, but you'll need to do a little work, and it won't be possible to have users associated with posts from both boards without a significant amount of work.

Basically, you pick one forum to be your "main" forum: users are converted from the main forum, and posts from the other forum are simply converted as if they were from guests.

The main forum is converted first, and the other forum is grafted on. You can do this by adding a category to the board ("archive" or something similar), and modifying the script to put all forums in this category, generate higher IDs when converting, and set up to convert no members (so all posts are made by "guests"). Then, you remove the "TRUNCATE" commands, and import the SQL.

It's technically tricky, but I've done it a few times. I can help you with the modifications.
spammers here!

el canadiano

I'm aware of that. I'm using the Zetaboards URL instead. http://s1.zetaboards.com/dashing/. Mind you, I'm just loosely giving you the URLs and I do follow the instructions, so don't regard me using those. I'll try the edits and that stuff.

I shouldn't have a problem with the merging of the two databases, because the new software has something built in already. I don't want to say which one just to respect the developers of the few forums here. I do respect SMF a lot, but the owner of the two forums want something else (I'm doing this as a favour). I will however be doing this when I get home from school today.

nneonneo

No, the URL for the ZetaBoards should not be the zetaboards.com address due to redirection: it should be the redirected domain.

It's very common to use these converters as a First step towards converting to a different software, and I would suggest you use the phpBB converters where available since most forum software can convert from
it, but that's just a suggestion. 
spammers here!

el canadiano

Alright, then that's most likely it then. The merge/conversion script after the SMF/phpBB conversion supports them both. However, if the phpBB conversion DIRECTLY converts to phpBB's password system, I'll do that then.

nneonneo

The converter uses MD5 for all forums (SMF, phpBB2, and phpBB3). All three forums can use it, but MD5 is the default for phpBB2, whereas SMF uses SHA1 (I think) by default.
spammers here!

el canadiano

Alright, then what's this error? This is the Zetaboards one after I changed the URLs.

nneonneo

Like it says, you should take a look at error.html and see if there's an error of some sort.

If you can't determine this, send it to me at nneonneo [at] gmail [dot] com and I'll take a look.
spammers here!

el canadiano

Absolutely empty. Oh well, I'll still go on anyways.

nneonneo

Grr...apparently, ZetaBoards redirects you back to zetaboards.com if you login to the Admin CP. The easiest solution might just be to disable domain redirection for the duration of the conversion.

Without the Admin CP, user emails might not be converted; this could potentially be a problem if your forum assumes that users must have e-mail addresses (I know it causes some minor issues with phpBB2).
spammers here!

el canadiano

Alright, will do that one then. Again, I'm appreciating your efforts.

el canadiano

The forumer thing went very well, so now onto the Zetaboards conversion.

I got it changed and the cookie thing was perfect. Right now, I'm on the members part of the conversion, but this doesn't quite look right to me.

EDIT: I think they both went very well, thank you.

http://rockbandforums.ej.am/dashingzeta/
http://rockbandforums.ej.am/phpbb/

I think this will be my very last question. How do you make a member an admin through phpMyAdmin? Might you know how to do that?

nneonneo

For phpBB, set user_level to 1 in the phpbb_users table.
For SMF, set ID_GROUP to 1 in the smf_members table.

The admin should be automatically converted if the "groups" setting is correctly configured.
spammers here!

Advertisement: