[SMF Converter] Invisionfree/ActiveBoards/iPBfree

Started by nneonneo, August 13, 2007, 11:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nneonneo

@Austin01: Under Forumotion, the import error should not occur. If you can, please e-mail me your settings.py file and I'll see what's up.

@Joey67500: See your e-mail.
Check out the AJAX Shoutbox (my one and only mod to date :P)
Do you like SMF? Are you using ProBoards, InvisionFree, ActiveBoards or some other web-hosted forum? I can help you convert to SMF (without having to purchase a DB conversion)...contact me [nneonneo {at} gmail *dot* com], and see this topic
spammers here!

Paul_Pauline

Hi nneonneo  :)

Could you clarify whether this script will work for IPB v3 ?

I have a friend that is looking to convert his forum over to SMF, but can only find a converter for v2  :(

Apparently he cannot backport his forum to the earlier version in order to do the conversion.

Thanks, Paul.
"In every life, no matter how full or empty one's purse, there is tragedy. It is the one promise life always fulfills.
Happiness is a gift and the trick is not to expect it, but to delight in it when it comes and to add to other people's store of it."
Pauline was one of those rare people who increased the store of happiness in the world.

Austin01

I have fixed it, i had to turn off some post setting's on the forumotion board, like show first post on all pages. But some forum's did not transfer but that's ok. Thank's for this converter!

nneonneo

@Paul_Pauline: the IF/iPBfree converters are specifically designed for those forum hosting services; the crawlers in general are used only if it isn't feasible to obtain a database backup.

If this is a free forum host running IPBv3 then I may eventually develop a crawler for it; otherwise, if you can get a database dump, try a convert.php based converter instead.
Do you like SMF? Are you using ProBoards, InvisionFree, ActiveBoards or some other web-hosted forum? I can help you convert to SMF (without having to purchase a DB conversion)...contact me [nneonneo {at} gmail *dot* com], and see this topic
spammers here!

bros

Quote from: nneonneo on July 23, 2010, 09:25:41 PM
@Joey67500: The get_cookie script should have grabbed all the necessary credentials to view the forums, unless they aren't visible on the board index.

@Austin01: What converter are you using?

@bros: The converter isn't able to convert post IP addresses, so they are all converted as "0.0.0.0". I don't know what SMF uses to signify that the post has an unknown IP address; if you know, please tell me.

Thanks. I was thinking as much.

I already tried wiping smf_messages IPs and that didn't work :P

Since it records the unknown in IPs used in recent posts

Austin01

My registration date say's today(after transfer)? How do i get it to the correct date?

bros

Quote from: Austin01 on July 28, 2010, 03:32:53 PM
My registration date say's today(after transfer)? How do i get it to the correct date?

Profile - Account Settings - change the registration date

bros

Quote from: nneonneo on July 23, 2010, 09:25:41 PM
@Joey67500: The get_cookie script should have grabbed all the necessary credentials to view the forums, unless they aren't visible on the board index.

@Austin01: What converter are you using?

@bros: The converter isn't able to convert post IP addresses, so they are all converted as "0.0.0.0". I don't know what SMF uses to signify that the post has an unknown IP address; if you know, please tell me.

smf_members

member_ip
member_ip2

if you put a value into both, then the unknown issue goes away.

Now I have 2000+ members...

How to deal with this >_>

edit:
You also need to attach an IP to each of their messages so it isn't blank

nneonneo

The converter leaves the member IP fields entirely blank, and uses the string "unknown" for the post IPs. I have found this to be the least confusing option.

If you have a better idea, please let me know.
spammers here!

bros

Quote from: nneonneo on July 31, 2010, 05:44:20 AM
The converter leaves the member IP fields entirely blank, and uses the string "unknown" for the post IPs. I have found this to be the least confusing option.

If you have a better idea, please let me know.

I think the unknown/blank value for the post IPs is what causes it.

Hmm.

Something like assigning a random IP might work, like 0.0.0.1 for all posts by user ID 1, 0.0.0.2 for posts by user ID 2, and so on.

Not sure how feasible that would be coding wise though.

bros

Currently trying things.

UPDATE smf_messages SET poster_ip = RAND() worked... Sort of.

Time to play around a bit more :P

bros

here we go

Running this a few days after the conversion when everyone has logged in and settled down...

UPDATE smf_messages s SET s.poster_ip = (Select m.member_ip from smf_members m where m.id_member = s.id_member)

TNoob

Would anybody be willing to use this to convert a free forum hosted on forumotion.com to SMF? You will be paid cash via PayPal.

bros

Getting an error with the forumotion converter

Using python 2.5

It grabs all of the members, then I get this:
Downloading Forum Structure...
Forum c0 ... Completed!
Elapsed Conversion Time 32.43 seconds
Converted 0 posts and 0 topics.
Completed! Press <enter> to exit.

nneonneo

Check your date settings (must be set in your preferences), check that the forum is in phpBB3 mode, check that the cookie is right.
spammers here!

bros

Quote from: nneonneo on August 19, 2010, 09:41:33 PM
Check your date settings (must be set in your preferences), check that the forum is in phpBB3 mode, check that the cookie is right.

Language is English

Date/Time is "2010-08-19, 23:57"

Ahhhh. I did not see the phpbb3 mode thing in the instructions.

That did it. Thanks. Never done forummotion before so it was new to me :P

bros

Hm. I just ran the converter and now it is not getting all of the posts.

It converts 1161 posts and 302 topics (I believe there are 328 topics)

"Our users have posted a total of 3551 messages"

Version is set to phpBB3
Style is set to Version Default style
Yes, I have an admin account.

nneonneo

@bros: It might be a code update which broke the converter. PM settings.py and I'll take a look...

@TNoob: please contact me at the email address in my signature and we can discuss this.
spammers here!

koralliya

Hello. I'm trying to convert a forumotion board into smf and I have a couple of questions.

First of all, regarding the step 4 of the instructions. How do I import the SQL batch files since forumotion doesn't allow access to the database? Is there some option in the admin panel? Sorry for my dumb question but I have no clue what should I do.. 

Furthermore I would like to know..: Does the conversion affect only the forum boards? I mean once you have completed the conversion, the administration panel is the same as it used to be in forumotion, with the same options etc? And is there some way afterwards to get back the forum to the software under which it used to run?

nneonneo

The converter will generate the required .sql files when you run it. These .sql files are generated by parsing the HTML source code of the Forumotion forum pages.

The converter converts phpBB3-style boards into phpBB3-compatible SQL files, which can be imported into a phpBB3 board. After that, you can perform a second conversion to SMF.

This results in an SMF board, with an SMF administration panel, which differs from the Forumotion administration panel. Forumotion uses their own software which is not available to the public (i.e. you must sign up with Forumotion to use their software). After conversion, there is no way to import a forum back into a new Forumotion forum.
spammers here!

Advertisement: