Need advice for catagories and boards ... from a n00b

Started by Le Maudit, August 14, 2007, 09:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Le Maudit

Hello,

Well, I've entered hell and started a forum to open discussion. The subject can be split into several small categories and boards but I don't want to initially confuse people, but I am anal about organization. So here's the question:

Am I better off starting off with a free for all and letting it take its course and creating individual boards later as needed and how much trouble am I asking for by having to move topics later? Or should I organize it now?

karlbenson

a few generalised forums are best,

then if you have popular subjects that are worthy of their own forum, then create one.
Although the downside is, you'll have to go through that forum and move out all the topics relating to your new forum.
That can be a pain.

motiveight

It all depends on what your forum is about really. Whats it about?
MotiveighT Music Forum: Assistance for Bands, Free music for fans.

Get MotiveighTed, Join The Revolution

Le Maudit

karlbenson

you'll probably want a few boards
say 10-15.

If you can find enough different subjects for your boards .

Le Maudit

Quote from: motiveight on August 15, 2007, 07:50:33 AM

It's about all the weird stuff going on these days ... uhm, ******headery as we call it. Hard to describe in detail, here: www.******headery.com. Let me know what you think. and I can't post the first part of the site because it starts with sh__ so, you can probably figure it out. It rhymes with hit  :-X

Coldfx

Quote from: Le Maudit on September 02, 2007, 05:35:00 PM
Quote from: motiveight on August 15, 2007, 07:50:33 AM

It's about all the weird stuff going on these days ... uhm, ******headery as we call it. Hard to describe in detail, here: www.******headery.com. Let me know what you think.

Heh, the name is censored.  Guess it's not SMF-appropiate...?

Le Maudit

I think I fixed that so it could easily be figured out O:)

Coldfx

I like the news, current organization, and site themes (Bloc's forum theme fits very well, and I adore the homepage you made).  For an added boost, you could take the idea from the sticky, recommending to update profiles, allowing users to be more "personal" w/eachother.  Examples of what I've done w/my profile (Using Snake Plissken's beta profile mod as a base):

I like the news, current organization, and site themes (Bloc's forum theme fits very well, and I adore the homepage you made).  For an added boost, you could take the idea from the sticky, recommending to update profiles, allowing users to be more "personal" w/eachother.  Examples of what I've done w/my profile (Using Snake Plissken's beta profile mod as a base):

Profile Summary p1

Profile Summary p2

Editing the profile p1

Editing the profile p2

Ignore List

Warning Log

New shout notification

Buddy List Notification

My users have loved the ways they can interact w/eachother, and it's worked on past forums.  I highly recommend it.

Le Maudit

thanks for the kudos and the advice. I'd be interested to see how I get members. From the folks  I've talked to thus far they seem to think the topic is pretty timely ... remains to be seen however.

Thanks again

Advertisement: