ssi poll

Started by umiya, October 26, 2004, 10:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

umiya

with the ssi poll function on my main page it dosnt count the vote at alll...and i do have it so guest can view and vote

also guest cant view the poll either

A.M.A

Guest are not allowed to vote but they can view polls through permissions.
Really sorry .. real life is demanding my full attention .. will be back soon hopefully :)

umiya

so its basicly pointless to have a poll option on ur main page if guest cant vote

Oldiesmann

The reason guests can't vote is because nobody has invented a way to keep guests from voting more than once while still allowing other people with the same IP address (someone on dialup, other users on the same computer, people connecting through AOL's proxies, etc.) to vote. If you track by IP address, then someone could easily just vote again from another computer and other users on the same computer couldn't vote after the first person voted. If you track by email address (even if you email a verification link before the guest can vote), guests could still just hop over to hotmail, yahoo, mail.com or one of the many other free email providers, create a new address and vote again. The ssi_poll feature is mainly meant to provide you with a way to display polls on your site to registered users (great feature when you're building a custom CMS around SMF)...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

umiya

[Unknown]

Quote from: umiya on October 28, 2004, 09:21:58 PM
why not use cookies?

Because, whilst people fear them so, they're about as "trackable" and "trustworthy" as ten 12 year olds who have fireworks and matches.

If you want polls on your front page, it really makes more sense to go with a dedicated poll script anyway....... this is a forum :P.

-[Unknown]

Oldiesmann

Quote from: umiya on October 28, 2004, 09:21:58 PM
why not use cookies?

1. Clear your cookies or delete that one and you could vote again from the same computer.
2. Use a different browser on the same computer and you could vote again.
3. Use a different computer and you could vote again.

No more reliable than email or IP
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: