News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Huge problem

Started by kevin_bailey, October 27, 2004, 04:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin_bailey

Would a moderator or the administrator please contact me for the following problem.

I have just made the horrible mistake of clicking the little box beside my name on hxxp:www.kevinbailey.com/ [nonactive] . This button was unmarked, so I figured that it might help me with another problem that I was having. NOT SO! It just locked me out of the administrator modification page!

Please email me and help!

[Unknown]

You mean, this?

Click it again.

-[Unknown]

kevin_bailey

No. An empty box. One that you can put a check in. This was under the admin pannel.

Trekkie101

I cant see no box  ::)

Also you have 2 posts and 2 members, yourself and another, would it kill to re-install?

kevin_bailey

I will tell you now that it is under my dad's webhosting package. I will ask him to reinstall. Will be back in about two hours (or less).

[Unknown]

Quote from: kevin_bailey on October 27, 2004, 04:59:27 PM
No. An empty box. One that you can put a check in. This was under the admin pannel.

Hmm... another idea would be to try repair_settings.php (hard to say without knowing what you changed.)

What is repair_settings.php?

-[Unknown]

kevin_bailey

I tried your suggestion about repair_settings.php, it didn't work.

kevin_bailey

Well my resident techie fixed the problem.  Here's how you can do it if this happens to you.

You need to be able to admin your MySQL on the server and run phpMyAdmin or some other query/update tool.

In the smf_members table of the database being used to store the forum data find the entry you messed up.  In my case I was the administrator which has a default ID_GROUP value of 1.  When I made the "big mistake" this value was changed to 0 which made me the member of no groups.  The list of all the id values is stored in the smf_membergroups table.

By changing the value for my ID back to 1 in the smf_members table I was able to restore all my admin priviledges!

Thank you to everyone who responded in my hour of desperation!
- Kevin

[Unknown]

Oh, sorry.  I thought you had meant in the admin center.

You could also have run install.php again to create another administrator.

-[Unknown]

kevin_bailey

My bad. I guess that I wasn't clear enough...

Advertisement: