The Official "Bye Bye, Joomla!" Thread

Started by flame baiter, August 17, 2007, 10:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flame baiter

QuoteAs stated earlier we were in communication with the Joomla! team in regards to building a bridge that was compatible with their license. The exchange is now over and, sadly, we have decided that the cost of building such a bridge is too great.

It's official, the end of the Orstio-bridge -  *click*

So let's move on and look forward...

My question: What will you do?

Switch to Mambo? Go Tinyportal? Another CMS?

Please share your plans in this thread and let the community know what's next for you!   :)

cbpm

I'm so sad with this situation.

I cannot migrate to another CMS since all my sites are well SEO positioned in Google with Joomla.  Also, all topics in my bridged SMF are in same situation.

I dont' know what i will do, but  i will try to use another Bridge, if exists. If joomlahacks offers a "non-GPL compliant" bridge, i will to use that.

To change to another CMS is not my option, at least by now.

:-\

laser

I don't know which wasy to head either.  I love the logic behind Joomla, and I love the SMF forums.  I don't need bridging, but I *DO* need a fantastic CMS and a fantastic forum.

Stallyon

Personally I'd go Mambo again and keep SMF before going Joomla with another forum solution, but that's just me. There's just so many things I love about SMF.
Kris Bell
Dahulu Tim Penerjemah Bahasa Indonesia (Former Indonesian Translation Team)
stallyon@bigpond.com

Tidak menerima pesan pribadi (PM) jika tidak diminta (no unsolicited private messages)

Attention: Spelling errors in this message are the product of a poor school system. Pay teachures more than athleets.

gasg

Quote from: Stallyon on August 18, 2007, 04:04:16 AM
Personally I'd go Mambo again and keep SMF before going Joomla with another forum solution, but that's just me. There's just so many things I love about SMF.
I agree what you say, In my mind rules to switch to mambo soon as possible and make my websites based on it "Forget Joomla!" but the problem is only one for who need a good template design and this is a strategy of a Joomla! core member to mantain ppl to use Joomla! (in my personal opinion) see for example rocketheme, no one template is for a new Mambo Release, see jomlaart, no one templates is for mambo, if anybody need a custom design have to pay a lot of money, up to $1500, this is the important thing.

Ronny

As a said before Elxis looks also very good. It also found its way out of the Mambodays!

http://www.elxis.org/

And there is already a SMF_bridge :-)

Dragooon

Well I never used Joomla Lol.
I am good with Tinyportal

cferd

I will shortly start testing the SMF-Gallery2 integration. If that works out, the next step will be to test it with the SMF-Mambo bridge. If all goes well, it's bye-bye Joomla time.

Farix

I'm planning on switching over to Mambo when our website is overhauled between our 2007 and 2008 convention sessions. Last year's overhaul included converting our forums over from IPB 2.0 preview to SMF and that cause enough disruption in our forum community. I'm not planning to repeat that experience with our forums again.

gasg

I noticed again, the only issue for Mambo is the graphic art, that for the new versions nobody  developing it more. :( this is the reality for now.

Omega X

I'm trying to figure out how to painlessly convert my sites to Mambo, but so far there have been some glitches.

I might just backup, dump it all and start fresh and reinput the content. It takes longer but atleast you have a clean install free of glitches.

Thantos

Just my personal opinion here:

First thing I would suggest is a good hard look to see if you really need SMF and Joomla bridged.  For some of you bridging might have been a nice feature/option but it isn't vital.  For some of you it might be vital.

If it isn't vital, are you willing to live without the bridge?  If so then why not stay with Joomla if you are happy with it?

gasg

Quote from: Thantos on August 18, 2007, 05:43:54 PM

First thing I would suggest is a good hard look to see if you really need SMF and Joomla bridged.  For some of you bridging might have been a nice feature/option but it isn't vital.  For some of you it might be vital.

If it isn't vital, are you willing to live without the bridge?  If so then why not stay with Joomla if you are happy with it?

Me for example don't like the new Joomla! prospective of the new road of how the core member interpeting the GPL license, Me for example don't like the new Joomla! prospective of the new road of how the core member interpreting the GPL license, I need to hear however free to be able to use an application that they do not share, if  I need  for my business or simple for my personal website.

Superdaantje

First thing we all have to respect the decision of the Joomla! core them and also the decision of the Simplemachines team to stop the development. The reasons are clear and is to bad that it has to come to this point. But there are so many other option to continue. Just take a look @ Mambo ;)

J! and Mambo are very similar toe each other. The look and feel of Mambo is almost the same as J!. And this has an reason J! is developed on the code of Mambo. And most developers are coming from the Mambo project ;)

There are always other options. For me personally the SMF bridge is working for now with my J! version. So no need at this moment to migrate to Mambo or something else. But I started testing etc with Mambo and the Bridge. So that I can migrate in the near future

I prefer SMF above J!.. But I respect the decision of the J! core team.

Greetz
Superdaantje.nl

Joomlabridge.org SMF Bridge Support, Downloads and Joomla Video Tutorials

Farix

Quote from: Thantos on August 18, 2007, 05:43:54 PM

I have to disagree here. Webmasters need to look at all of their options, not just whether they need SMF and Joomla bridged. It could very well be that switching to a different CMS or forum is a better fits their needs and wants then removing the bridge. Also, if there is no compelling reason to make any changes to the current setup, then the webmaster can leave things as they are.

Deaks

people do need to look, when updates of smf or joomla come out it will effect there current bridge, and as there will be no more legal bridges, and no idea when an update for either will be released, people do need to start planning otherwise when thinsg do change they will be stuck with outdated software.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

flame baiter

Quote from: Farix on August 19, 2007, 08:54:38 AMAlso, if there is no compelling reason to make any changes to the current setup, then the webmaster can leave things as they are.

I disagree. Everyone who has a bridged Joomla! site has to look for alternatives now. Obviously, ignoring future Joomla! updates just to have a working bridge is simply no option, for security reasons.

Raul Dias

QuoteMe for example don't like the new Joomla! prospective of the new road of how the core member interpeting the GPL license, Me for example don't like the new Joomla! prospective of the new road of how the core member interpreting the GPL license, I need to hear however free to be able to use an application that they do not share, if  I need  for my business or simple for my personal website.

What Joomla did was something like: "hey is it legal to have non-GPL compatible modules linked to Joomla?"
After a long heated debate, the conclusion was something like "It is not legal, but we (Joomla core team) wont go after anyone.  But notice that we (JCT) dont own 100% of this code, so heads up."

The problem is that anyone who owns code inside Joomla! (or any other GPL project) can "sue" any violators.  This is because the Joomla core team does not own 100% of the code in Joomla, they can spoke only for themselves, not for the other developers who still owns code inside it.

That said, this is alse true for Mambo.

Let me ilustrate this:
There is a library inside Mambo and Joomla! (and used everywhere) called phpmailer (inside includes dir).
This library is licensed under GPLv2.1 and it is not owned by neither Joomla/Mambo developers/foudation.
So what?
The author(s) of this library can for example go after those violating the GPL in Joomla/Mambo.
He can did this, because his code is in there.

So, this is not a matter of interpretation only, its a legal matter which it is outside the hands of the project owners.

If they remove every code like this from Joomla/Mambo, then they can make GPL incompatible code ok without the violators having to worry.

So, both projects say that you can use non-GPL components, but it is not just up to them.

The difference is that Mambo stated it is ok for them to have the GPL violated in their project, but they did not warn about this other issue (external code owners being able to sue) and when Joomla  warned about it got bashed really hard from everywhere.

Thats also why, if the license is really the only reason behind this, the Mambo bridge should be removed too.

Saying use Mambo instead of Joomla still have the same issues, the only real fact for the migration is that the bridge still there.

Regarding other projects (XOOPS, iGaming, e107, ...) if they own 100% of their GPLed code, they can say that there is no ptoblem with GPL violations.  Just this is not the Mambo/Joomla case.

QuoteI disagree. Everyone who has a bridged Joomla! site has to look for alternatives now. Obviously, ignoring future Joomla! updates just to have a working bridge is simply no option, for security reasons.

I agree 100% with this.

beat.b

Quote from: Raul Dias on August 19, 2007, 06:30:28 PM
That said, this is alse true for Mambo.

Let me ilustrate this:
There is a library inside Mambo and Joomla! (and used everywhere) called phpmailer (inside includes dir).
This library is licensed under GPLv2.1 and it is not owned by neither Joomla/Mambo developers/foudation.
So what?
The author(s) of this library can for example go after those violating the GPL in Joomla/Mambo.
He can did this, because his code is in there.
Thats also why, if the license is really the only reason behind this, the Mambo bridge should be removed too.

Saying use Mambo instead of Joomla still have the same issues, the only real fact for the migration is that the bridge still there.

Sorry, but there is a mistake on the example leading to a mistake on the conclusions ;)

phpmailer is NOT GPL, it is LGPL v 2.1. There is no version 2.1 in GPL ;) .

LGPL can be linked with any licence or licence interpretation, as long as the LGPL code is available in source form.

I've made a quite full due diligence on Joomla 1.0, 1.5 and Mambo code and licences, and the Mambo Foundation (which is a democracy of the community members) truly owns rights to its core code.

From my due diligence on this aspects, the legal and business aspect has been very well handled in Mambo, and their open-source affiliations as well as FAQ show clearly that their licence allows freedom in extensions licencing.

Therefore, Mambo and Joomla are indeed very different cases, at least from a business perspective. And SMF's different decision on both CMSes is fully understandable.  :)

Of course, don't take this as an advice or offense, but just as a sharing of the advice I got on that subject. :)

Chriss Cohn

Im currently move to Mambo with all my sites, and i strongly suggest it to everybody! Mambo is, what i found out so far, better,faster,modern than Joomla. And with 4.7 or even 5.0 series the thing will be even better for Mambo.
In my eyes Joomla is dead since that GPL-missinterpretation.

Regards, Christian

Advertisement: