News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How to build a successful forum

Started by Noddegamra, August 23, 2007, 09:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricky.

Quote from: anteater on August 12, 2011, 12:47:07 AM
Thanks guys,

This topic was extremely helpful! I've figured out basic rules of user engagement, now it is time for fine tuning.

Would you have a minute to review my forum? Here it is: forum.therfblog.com
The forum is an extension of my blog about Russian fashion (in English).
I've been blessed with a large Russian followership on Twitter lately, and they don't seem to bother to read or write in English... So:

1. I've created one board for Russian-speaking visitors. Is it enough or should I open a whole different forum in Russian? I guess this board can confuse English-speaking visitors. And for Russians to see only one board allotted to them... they will think I don't respect them.
On the other hand, it would have been great if this forum became a cool place where people from all over the world could meet.
2. Do you think it makes sense to allow unregistered people to post, with a captcha? Only in the beginning.
3. My current topics are: Russian fashion/culture and fashion blogging. Do I need to expand to fashion in general?

Any other ideas will be hugely appreciated!

In short / brief..
1, You should make it Russia specific as whole and add only single section for English speaking people, once you see if there is sufficient activity from English speaking people then add more boards. But in short it all depends upon your traffic, if its mostly non-english then you know it what to do.

2. Ya, it does make sense but only for a while, I had done this and this is for who are in real hurry but they can give you real good discussion start point. Only problem is that you will have to deal with lots of spam.

3. I already answered in first one.. if your majority of traffic is Russian then make only single section in english rest in Russian and later expand on the basis of activity.

Good luck !

Er.mehulpopat

hello friend i am new here...

i am a member on so many forums which r provided by SMF...

but i want to know that what is my benefit if someone post on my thread...

please help me...i want to open a new forum from here.....

Ricky.

You can't open a forum here, but you can download forum software ie. SMF and then create forum from it on a webhosting server.

Benefits ranges from donations, paid memberships, support to other product to ads revenue.

derby

Please i own a job vacacnies forum but i dont know if there is sumtin i nid to add or sumtin i nid to do to make my forum successful..check it out @www.derbhotjobs.com
LATEST JOB VACANCIES

www.derbhotjobs.com

klaaskv

i great way to get people to sign up on y form is join a Competition price pack on a other form
Y have alot of forms where they have Competitions and mostly they ask for people that whant to give money for the 3,2,1 place and in return your lik is the ron her form and people need to sign up on y form  as a rule to join the Competitions

Ron Sebastian

I am looking for the information finally i got your post it is really great to read about to build forum. i would like to read your future post also. thanx for the information.

azureboone

I'm probably on the wrong section, but I'm wondering how to download SMS.  I downloaded the full version but I don't know what to do after I unzip it all.  There's like no install link or file.  Just a long list of stuff that was unzipped.  HELP

derby

Quote from: azureboone on September 22, 2011, 03:23:27 PM
I'm probably on the wrong section, but I'm wondering how to download SMS.  I downloaded the full version but I don't know what to do after I unzip it all.  There's like no install link or file.  Just a long list of stuff that was unzipped.  HELP
Pm mi i would help u out
LATEST JOB VACANCIES

www.derbhotjobs.com

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Or take a look at our wiki, you will find detailed installation instructions there. But before anything, you will need a host that supports php.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Xuoxo

Very nice information....
I like to add more:
4 Tips for building a successful forum

1) Spread the news of your forum friends. They are the best people to promote your forum even if they find interesting and useful.

2) satisfy the tastes of your friends as much as possible. This is because you can only keep visitors who like your website. Try to create more sections that talk about different things and that you like better.

3) Publish your site to search engines. You can register at Yahoo or Google for your website (forum) published in the major search engines. Make sure there is a distinctive name but not too specific. This gives you the best chance of being the first couple of places when entering a keyword.

4) At the forum, if possible, give certain "advantages" to the members that make them feel superior to ordinary visitors, for example, upper limit on the size of uploaded images. This encourages the registration of your forum and directly increases the number of members of your forum.

AHipHopLovers

Hi guys,

I've read all 11 pages and I have to say I'm impressed by the amount of feedback, help, and quality. Thank you. I've learned so much. I've noticed a lot of members giving feedback and suggestions to websites when asked. So I would like the same if you all could. My site is AHipHopLovers.com [nofollow] My user name is also the web address. I've been promoting it and getting visitors but little to know posts. I haven't applied all the tips you guys said yet, but I wanted to first to see if the website and forum looked reputable or good enough for you guys.

Thanks again.

SereneSeaForum

Quote from: Noddegamra on September 03, 2007, 07:19:46 AM
I've recenlty added a 5 Free Online Marketing Tips guide to my blog which some of you may find useful. It suggests 5 free ways of promoting your forum/website :)

What happened to your website?
SereneSeaForum Love Intellect Wisdom Education for Happiness Peace Wealth via Show Reviews

Joseph H

well. I kind of like what you guys are up to... I hope i can join that help team and we can work together @Danny & Mother
Cheap webhosting +24 hours

noahbarn061784

Well for a fact I really have no idea on how to do it. But at least now that I've read this posts, I am much more aware on hoe to build a successful forum.

James George

In my opinion, having a successful forum needs a lot of time, work and probably money. In life, you can't do anything great if you don't love or at least like what you are doing. Creating a forum is easy because of the SMF script, but getting your forum to the "successful forum" state is hard, and maintaining that state is even harder. You need to work a lot, help others and so on. It's not impossible, but neither easy, which makes the satisfaction even sweeter.

abbey4biz

Please I always have people posting url links on my forum, hoping to get an image displayed of which i have stoped, but yet they keep on posting url links and i am thinking this is been done automatically.

please how can i stop this?

TheListener

Quote from: abbey4biz on March 13, 2012, 08:43:22 PM
Please I always have people posting url links on my forum, hoping to get an image displayed of which i have stoped, but yet they keep on posting url links and i am thinking this is been done automatically.

please how can i stop this?

Knowing the version you use is a start

::)

Have a look at the anti spam mods.

pbchitchat

Thank you so much from the advice. I have built my Forum which SMF made so easy for me but getting user to the forum is a differnt story. But I will keep work on it thanks

MidasBalaa

Well my forum is picking up but I would thin it would take for up to a year for people to become really active. You will have to be more active in your posting and get lots of traffic

LaurensPlace

Thanks I'm going to try to add the "competition" tip to help boost my beauty forum

Advertisement: