News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to build a successful forum

Started by Noddegamra, August 23, 2007, 09:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ishan1991

Thanx for the excellent ideas. I too have started a new forum based on Indian freebies, discounts, hot deals and contests. These knowledge is surely going to help in expanding my forum.

SimpleJoe

From my experience YouTube videos can be pretty effective in making a successful forum, and other social media. Here are some more ideas on how to promote a forum that includes some innovative stuff to get your forum known.
Hosting Simple Machines since YaBB -- One of the first SMF Forum Hosting providers with Chat and FTP for the inner developer in us all.

appleid

I have an SMF photographic forum with a few dedicated and friendly folks. It is all I wanted and it is fun to do as I wanted it that way. All is friendly and professional. That is a great experience for all. 14 members of high caliber photographers. I don't need a thousand. I kept very small and manageable and have a great time everyday. I am a retired photographer with a ton of knowledge and help and am finding after 6 years of SMF so very rewarding. cawtoons@att. net, if you want to join. It is invitation only but I am open to interested parties. Photography and SMF is a great combination. I just use the SMF, am not in any way affiliated. TC

vlajce992

Im pretty sure that this topic will also work for forum build since its building success topic :D

http://criticalthread.blogspot.com/2013/06/when-is-my-topic-gonna-succeed-on.html
shhh

ricktee76

I would say dont be too specific for example:

A music forum covers a massive spectrum, an RnB forum will probably attract a slightly broader range of members because it hooks into many different genres especially with all the collaborations etc.

For instance poetry is something i've seen as a subforum on  a few music websites, this makes sense because songs are basically poems with music.

A forum for left handed bass players called Andy, is in all probability going to fail.

Basically, what i'm trying to say is dont be too overly specific with the 'niche' your working on and look for ways in which your forum can maybe pull in or touch on another 'niche'.

KibaHime

If anyone wants to take on a charity case and help me start a forum, please feel free to email me.

NVRattatat @ hxxp:gmail.com [nonactive]

I would essentially worship you.

miffynt

Great post...

If you want a successful forum simply generate nice content. If you talk about something interesting there will be memebers pretty easily.

I was thinking to create a forum but I realize I didn't have nothing useful to say and there was already a huge competition about that subject so I did the best thing I could do: I didn't make it!

ApplianceJunk

So it's seems it's not really as simple as you say then. ;)

wishmasterdjl

thanks for this, this will help with my new site/community i am trying to make

Femmetreysie

Thumb up! Great list! This is definitely a better way to start your forums.

PokémonS

However, all you need before to make a forum is 5-10 close friends with same interest, then open a discussion about the forum.
By working alone, you'll never get a successful forum.

Trust me, I am ASIAN one of many owners of successful forum since 2010 (That time I am still 13).
These screenshots below explained. :P

Forum:

Chatbox (from mod SimplePortal):
きみと手をつなごう つらいときはもっと
ゼロからはじめよう ほら ほら 手をつなごう
みんな手をつなごう つらいときはもっと
力を合わせよう ほら ほら 手をつなごう

runningmom604

Quote from: Dragooon on August 23, 2007, 09:56:03 AM
Nice ideas. Also try to get members which HAVE interest on your forums genre and try to make your forum a bit customized as being with default features is not always a good idea. Keep trying new things and see which affects most.

You must be a starcraft fan?
I love to run and run to love ;)

Decent_946

Great Ideas i really appreciate ur ideas..  :)
Thankx to RebellioN

Professor Sea

I too had made a forum about biology, but am having a lot of trouble getting it off the ground, so to speak... Any advice you could give me? About 30 members on my forum are actually spam-bots, sadly.
Visit my forum: http://endo.darkglass.net/

Kindred

Did you even bother to read the previous posts in thus thread?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Professor Sea

Visit my forum: http://endo.darkglass.net/

Kindred

Well, your questions has been answered several times in the past 12 pages of this thread.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

suhaneankit

Very good tips and idea. I have been following all since long and my forum is stable and running very well ;)
7 Steps IRCTC Registration IRCTC Registration in 7 Steps
Check PNR Status IRCTC PNR Status

Malone Chess Club

I'm trying to put together a very small private forum for a nonprofit chess club in which we can have around ten threads running within it. We the four individuals on the board of directors have been communicating through email on a number of things and it's turned into an unholy mess. I thought this might be a better way to go but I have no idea on how to start (I'm new to this stuff).

I thought that it would be simple to figure out but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. Any advice on how to create our private forum (and from there create the conversation threads) would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Matt
Malone Chess Club

Kindred

Read the wiki/FAQ/manual --link at the top right
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: