News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Most Popular Topic Today

Started by vbgamer45, September 15, 2007, 01:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khamseen

Hey sorry for the bump, but I just had to uninstall this mod because whilst installed, only the main admin account could see topics in any boards that weren't visible to their primary membergroup, but for some reason I got a PM from a rather distressed member of my community who was able to see a topic which was in an admin board... I can't explain why though as his permissions are identical to all other standard members.

Can you help me out with this one please?
"In hope we find despair and in despair we find truth." - Myself

Phat^Trance

is it possible to add more topics than just one?
Daily Mobile Blog:  http://dailymobile.se/
Daily iPhone Blog: http://dailyiphoneblog.com/
Daily Mobile forum: http://forum.dailymobile.se/

bpratt

Quote from: mark7144 on March 15, 2008, 08:03:24 AM
Quote from: yeop on September 18, 2007, 01:22:14 AM
nice mod indeed, looking forward this mod can be relate most popular topic by day, weeks, months and so on..

Thanks in advanced
Is there a mod out there that does this? Because that's exactly what I'm looking for...

Like you, this mod is a great mod and something that a lot of users like to check out, but the only thing that really lets it down big time, is the fact that it does not take in to account users permissions.

Like many that I've read in here, I have a admin/moderator discussion board, and lately one of the topics in there has become more popular than any other topic on the forums, and non-admin users are reading the "Sorry, it's a locked board, you can't read this topic".

The impression of secret forum discussions is not something that we want people to think we're doing. :)

Sooo.... if anyone is interested in upgrading/doing their own version of this mod, I dare say they'd be a lot of people very happy with you.  :)

ernest

great mod  ;D
by the way, which part should i change so it can show 5 most popular topic?

ernest

im realy sorry bout the bump, but did anyone have a solution for my question? coz im not pretty good at scripting  :'(

bpratt

I'm trying to make the move to 2.0RC2, and sadly it doesn't want to install.

Is there likely to be an update to this mod?

IlliniCrusader

I am using 2.0 RC1.2.  Is it possible to update it to the newer versions?

Thanks,
IC

tomy123456

hi help me

btw i dont have instal this mod but got problem

how can fix this?
8: Undefined index: most_pop_top
File: /home/davc123/public_html/forums/Themes/default/BoardIndex.template.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 299

8: Undefined index: most_pop_top
File: /home/davc123/public_html/forums/Themes/default/BoardIndex.template.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 299

Deaks

I have taken over this mod and its now updated for 2.0 rc3
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Cal O'Shaw

Hello,

Thank you for picking up this MOD.  Looks like it could be really nice.

I looked a bit in the topic and others have made the same requests that came to my mind when I installed this.  So I took the liberty of compiling them into this one post.

Would you be willing to look at adjusting it to allow the listing of the "X" most popular topics?  It looks like the code is already doing most of the work, so it might just be having it list the first "X" topics it has ordered.  "X" could either be a setting in the AdminCP or just a fixed number, such as 5.

The number of posts is in quotes, which looks a bit odd.  Could the quotes be removed?

Here's a set of the text strings, adjusted to more natural US English:

Code (Proposed changes to text strings) Select

$txt['most_popular_topic_today'] = 'The Most Popular Topic in the last 24 hours';
$txt['most_pop_top'] = 'Number of posts per day:';
$txt['most_pop_top_abs'] = 'Sorry, no one has replied today';
$txt['cant_read_mpt'] = 'Sorry, unable to calculate at this time';

The "can't read" string changed to hide the reason why some users may be unable to see.  Which does echo the concern mentioned before, that permissions are not factored in when the query is made and the list of popular topics is ordered.

We're using SMF 1.1.11, but hope any enhancements you make will be applied to that branch of the MOD as well.

Grazie,

Cal

Deaks

I do plan on working on fixing the text strings and updating the mod more at some point :)

But thank you for your translated strings (from russian english to english lol)
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

wwwserfer

Quote from: khamseen on October 24, 2008, 06:46:01 PM
Hey sorry for the bump, but I just had to uninstall this mod because whilst installed, only the main admin account could see topics in any boards that weren't visible to their primary membergroup, but for some reason I got a PM from a rather distressed member of my community who was able to see a topic which was in an admin board... I can't explain why though as his permissions are identical to all other standard members.

Uninstall this mod for the same reasons... :-[

recived

Hi all. how to display more than 1?

Deaks

Quote from: wwwserfer on November 21, 2010, 02:17:49 PM

Yeh this have came to my attention, I got a friend to look over it and he has sent me a fix, just need to test it now :)

Quote from: recived on November 27, 2010, 07:57:04 AM

You cant
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

recived

Quote from: Runic on November 27, 2010, 08:05:00 AM
Quote from: wwwserfer on November 21, 2010, 02:17:49 PM

Yeh this have came to my attention, I got a friend to look over it and he has sent me a fix, just need to test it now :)

Quote from: recived on November 27, 2010, 07:57:04 AM

You cant
any way possible to make more than 1? If the code to make changes?

Deaks

there is always a way but at this time the mod has a more important issue, also the mod is called Most Popular Topic of the day
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Deaks

Mod has been updated and should fix the issue of blocking non admins, also fixed language strings and have updated the description:

Most Poupular Topic
Created by Runic

Support | Donate

Compatibility
2.0 RC4

Purpose
This mod adds a new section to your boardindex.template so you can see the most popular topic of the moment.

FAQ
How do I add more post?
Once installed open your BoardIndex.php file located in your sources folder and search for
LIMIT 1'

Simply increase this number to your desired amount for example:
LIMIT 5'

Once you save upload this file overwriting the old one.  Please remember to backup
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

wwwserfer

Quote from: Runic on November 28, 2010, 08:10:36 PM
Mod has been updated and should fix the issue of blocking non admins, also fixed language strings...

Great! But... now mod UnCompatible with smf 1.1.xx??

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Advertisement: