News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Mambo Bridge FAQ

Started by Orstio, September 16, 2007, 12:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orstio

Q:  What combination of modules/mambots do I need to use?

A:  If you use the bridge login module, make sure to unpublish the SMF_login and SMF_logout mambots.  If you use the Mambo login module, then make sure to publish the SMF_login and SMF_logout mambots.

Q:  How do I create a link from my menu to the bridge?

A:  Go to your Mambo admin panel.  Go to the Menu menu.  Click on mainmenu.

Click the "New" icon.

Select "Component" and click the "Next" icon.

Select the SMF bridge in the list of components.  Type a name into the name field.

Click Save.

Orstio

Terminology to avoid confusion:

Wrapped:  This indicates that the bridge is wrapped within the Mambo template.  This is accessed through Mambo.

Unwrapped:  This indicates that the bridge is not wrapped in the Mambo template.  This is accessed through Mambo.  The URL looks exactly the same as the wrapped setting, but the Mambo template is excluded.

Stand alone:  This indicates the forum location accessed directly rather than through the bridge.  This is not bridged in any way.

Orstio

Q:  I have migrated users from SMF to Mambo in the bridge configuration panel.  I am using the Mambo login module.  My users are unable to login to Mambo, but they do get logged into SMF.

A:  If you have migrated your users from SMF to Mambo, and you are using the Mambo login module rather than the bridge login module, those users will need to change their passwords in the bridged forum before they will be able to login to Mambo.

Kindred

Q: I am having trouble syncronizing the users or the users who register are stored in one user table and not the other. I am running with a Plesk control panel for the site.

A: Plesk (and several other host/site control panels) do not allow different databases to share the same database user. With Plesk, you MUST have SMF and Mambo installed within the same database.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Orstio

Q:  If I run into problems, should I uninstall and reinstall everything?

A:  No.  Doing that never solves the problem, and will only result in your own frustration.  Ask questions in the forum, and we will work out the actual problem.

kai920

By not including the Joomla template, I see there is less "stuff" in the <head> section, which would lead me to believe SMF would run faster and is more light-weight. Is this correct?

Could you shed light on some "behind the scenes" technicalities and advantages of wrapped vs. unwrapped, besides the obvious aesthetic differences?

Quote from: Orstio on September 16, 2007, 12:52:53 PM
Wrapped:  This indicates that the bridge is wrapped within the Mambo template.  This is accessed through Mambo.

Unwrapped:  This indicates that the bridge is not wrapped in the Mambo template.  This is accessed through Mambo.  The URL looks exactly the same as the wrapped setting, but the Mambo template is excluded.

Orstio

QuoteBy not including the Joomla template, I see there is less "stuff" in the <head> section, which would lead me to believe SMF would run faster and is more light-weight. Is this correct?

No.  Everything that is loaded in the wrapped version is also loaded i the unwrapped version.  The only difference is in the display.

Trulyana

How do you get the SMF Bridge in the list of components, when you create a link from the menu to my bridge?

I am completetly new to this.

Orstio

When you install the bridge, it will automatically appear in the list of components.

Alexist

When I trying to login in my SMF it won't working and it only work in Mambo and Community Builder but the registration of SMF is being redirected to Mambo page.

Updated:

8: Undefined property: stdClass::$login
File: /home/alexist/public_html/components/com_smf/smf.php
Line: 776

appearing when I'm trying to login in SMf

Orstio

Go to your Mambo admin panel.

Go to the Modules Menu.  Click on Site Modules.

Find the mod_smf_login in the list of modules.  It might not be on the first page.  When you find it, click on it.

Set the parameters to your liking.  Click Save at the top of the page.  Even if you change nothing, click Save at the top of the page.

kdreger

Totally confused!
Here is my setup:
Mambo: 4.6.5
SMF: 1.1.7
Bridge: 1.1.1
link to SMF Forum: www.hspig.org/mmsmf/ [nofollow]
Link to Mambo new install 10 minutes ago: www.hspig.org/mambo/ [nofollow]
Installed the latest Bridge COM, and added in ALL my SMF users with no problems.
Config path in Bridge: set and tested fine
SMF Forum registration is checked as Wrapped.
All the SMF values have been revised according to the docs provided to allow the bridge to work.
Use SMF CSS in other pages?: is marked YES
Synchronize Language from Mambo/Joomla to SMF?: Is marked Yes
Under Registration TAB:
SMF Forum integration: Use Bridge Registration is marked
Require Registration Agreement: YES
Send a SMF PM to the user on registration? YES
Use real name or username as display? REAL NAME
Comun Builder not installed.
GROUPS TAB
SMF Group

MamBot Manager:
SMF_Login PUBLISHED
SMF_Logout UNPUBLISHED
SMF_REGISTER UNPUBLISHED
SMF_USER_BAN UNPUBLISHED
SMF_USER, CHANGE & UNBAN & INCLUDE- UNPUBLISHED

What I want to achieve is for Mambo to take control over the SMF Foorum and have the SMF Forum be on the front page of the Mambo link, like a iFrame!  Then have the "Extras" that Mambo offers out on the Sidebars and other areas.
So far I have not been able to achieve this!  I can create a Button on the Left Side bar that links to the SMF Forum, but that is not what I want to see.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks
Ken

kdreger

Never Mind, I resolved it!

Stupid me, This time when I created the link it DID Wrap into the Mambo Frame!

Anyway, thanks for listening
:o
Ken

DetroitIrish

do mambo & smf have to be installed on the same database?

mark7144

So when I have Mambo and SMF bridged, how do I make it so the threads in my News board show as articles on Mambo?

Orstio

Are you using SMF 2.0 and the beta bridge?

mark7144

No, I'm using 1.1.8 and the latest stable release of Mambo.

I don't run any CMS, I just want for each SSI news article to have its own page rather for it to load in a thread when clicked on from my home page. Everything else I don't care about. So I assume converting my website to Mambo and then using this bridge is the best solution?

Orstio

SMF 1.1.8 and its bridge do not have this feature.  SMF 2.0 and its bridge do.

mark7144

Can you recommend anything for me? I don't need a CMS, my website is basically an SMF CMS using SSI.

I just want my news articles to have their own seperate non-forum pages when they are clicked on. I got part of the way there using this code but as you can see, it doesn't quite work when you click into the topic.

Advertisement: