*cries* someone please help....

Started by LostProphecy, November 08, 2004, 10:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostProphecy

my sites had a massive stuff around lately...

we made a huge mistake of switching hosts from bbhost to surpass, but when we switched the new host wasn't helping us and we couldn't get the site up so we switched back to our original webhost (bbhost). so as you can imagine in this time we have had to redirect the domain twice...

the problem?

all in this somewhere everyone seems to be able to see the site again back with our original webhost (we've lost some data, but there's nothing we can do about it)

but....

for some freaky reason, i am the only one that can't see the site... for me our site seems to be stuck with surpass... even though everyone else has been switched back to bbhost...

it's really frustrating me, cause i have a mysql backup that would mean we only lose 2 weeks instead of 6 weeks of data... but i can't assess anything at all on this site... this has to a problem with my computer or something... i just don't understand how i could be stuck on surpass and no one else is...

these are the errors i'm getting...

Warning: main(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/home/kodee/public_html/forums/Sources/QueryString.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/lostpro/:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp) in /home/lostpro/public_html/forums/index.php on line 48

Warning: main(/home/kodee/public_html/forums/Sources/QueryString.php): failed to open stream: Operation not permitted in /home/lostpro/public_html/forums/index.php on line 48

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required '/home/kodee/public_html/forums/Sources/QueryString.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/lostpro/public_html/forums/index.php on line 48

as you can see with bbhost the cpanel is "kodee" but with surpass the cpanel was "lostpro"

someone please help *begs*
Angelus Ex Quo Nox

LostProphecy

i've tried deleting all my cookies and internet files... as well as disconnecting DSL connection waiting a bit and reconnecting it... these haven't worked for me....
Angelus Ex Quo Nox

charlottezweb

Yep, looks fine to me.  Tried through megaproxy.com to assure yourself you're not crazy?  :)

Tried to release/renew your ip?  Just a shot in the dark cause that really shouldn't matter if your ISP hasn't updated it's dns lately.

Should just be a matter of time unfortunately.

Regards,
Jason

Douglas

I've had a lot of experience with this.  It basically boils down to your ISP caching the OLD IP address.  You just have to play the waiting game OR edit your hosts file.  I have instructions for Windows 98, you'll have to dig around for XP or 95 instructions.  Please note that neither I nor SMF nor LewisMedia can be held responsible if you bork this edit.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/98/all/reskit/en-us/part7/wrkappf.mspx
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Jay?

You can take it one step farther as well.  Network based caching also occurs.  DNS server sometimes get confused when they get back to back updates and not sure which ones they are TRULY suppose to be using, so they wait for the new update.  So the DNS cache is "Stale" you can use dnsstuff.com to see what Tier-A DNS servers are showing for your resolution.

With all that being said.  It's beginning to sound a bit more of a localized problem with the ISP.  They also run DNS cached servers and provide the IP address within the cached server, which may be incorrect - all you can do is wait there, most domains drop out of cache servers after 14400 sec (you do the math).  The reason why the ISP does this is to reduce the stress placed on the Tier-A servers, and also reduces the amount of bandwidth they use.  In some cases they explain that this also speeds up resolutions.  Remember when AOL use to use cache servers for content?  Oh wait, they still do :|

-Jay

charlottezweb

Setting your TTL extremely low on both servers (if your hosts will comply) should significantly reduce this time, though in retrospect, it's not going to do you any good now.  If you do it at least 24 hours before moving, it can cut your propagation time and probably force your ISP into updating more frequently.  As Jay stated, it's going to stress your nameservers more than a less frequent update but that's something you can try next time if you have that option.

-Jason

Jay?

Another option is to use one of several free DNS servers, which allow you to make the IP address your site points too rather than chainging the nameservers themselves.

A few are:
everydns.org
zoneedit.com
dyndns.org

There are a bunch more, but these are the one's I know of.  When I have someone moving to my servers, I usually recommend making the nameserver change to one of those, once that resolves correclty, we transfer the site over and switch IP addresses.  Usually something that 24-48 hours is reduced to 5 - 15 mins for proper resolution (pending of how often they update the DNS), which makes moving site much more fluid.  You may want to put that in the crypt sheet when you move in the future.

BTW, there was a post around here for surpasshosting I think, which explained the upsides/downsides to their hosting :|

-Jay

LostProphecy

thanx for all you guys help :) you were right it did come back eventually... we are yet to install our backups but that's another story *rolls eyes* i'm not going to go into it....

i should really do some sort of course on this aspect of the web... i might learn something important :P
Angelus Ex Quo Nox

Advertisement: