News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Can't send PM to "§g†.Š‡rïkër"

Started by jitspoe, September 25, 2007, 06:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jitspoe

Somebody with the name "§g†.Š‡rïkër" PM'd me, and when I replied, SMF said,
QuoteSend report
Unable to find member '§g†.Š‡rïkër'.

New Message
   The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
One or more 'to'-recipients could not be found.

I tried manually adding his name with the "Find Members" link.  I entered "§*", and clicked "Search".  His name popped up, and I tried sending it again, but still no go.  Same problem.

Edit: Using SMF 1.1.3 with a custom theme.  This is the first time I've seen the error and we've been using SMF for a long time (probably years).  I haven't seen people use funky characters like that for a login name, though, either.

nitins60

Even i faced same problem with some username which s having special characters

SleePy

I have seen this sometimes to.

Are you using UTF-8? If UTF-8 is enabled your site should support these characters better.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

jitspoe

How do I check?

By the way, I just updated to 1.1.4 and the problem persists.  It appears he can log in, post messages, etc. just fine.  Kind of strange that sending PM's doesn't work.

SleePy

Go to Admin -> Forum Maintenance.

If you see an option to convert to UTF-8, then you are not using UTF-8.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

rsw686

If characters like that cause issues they should never be able to create a username with those characters to begin with.
The Reptile File
Everything reptile for anyone reptile friendly

Aquaria Talk
Community for freshwater and saltwater aquariums enthusiasts

babjusi

Probably that member registered with another nickname and then changed it to  "§g†.Š‡rïkër", right? Remove the " in front and at the end of §g†.Š‡rïkër and try to send him/her another pm and see if that would work

Gaboon

Same problem, but with almost all users, and i'm using UTF-8...

krid

Quote from: Gaboon on November 19, 2007, 08:27:07 AM
Did you check, whether your problem relates to regular members only.
Does the "Post count under which users must enter code when sending personal messages." have an impact? (Does setting it to zero fix the problem?)

jitspoe

I'm having the same problem with another name: "ØlÐ §çhøöÏ Š†®îk€®".  He obviously registered the account like that, since I don't allow people to change their names.

I don't suppose there's simply a way to disable using extended codes in forum names, is there?  I do have the "Convert the database and data to UTF-8" option.  I guess I'll give it a shot after I run some backups.

Edit:  Looks like that fixed it.  Thanks.

Gaboon

Quote from: krid on November 21, 2007, 05:27:03 PM
Quote from: Gaboon on November 19, 2007, 08:27:07 AM
Does the "Post count under which users must enter code when sending personal messages." have an impact? (Does setting it to zero fix the problem?)
Yeah, i checked everything...
and still not working :/

krid

Gaboon,

Quote from: Gaboon on November 28, 2007, 06:43:34 AM
Quote from: krid on November 21, 2007, 05:27:03 PM
Yeah, i checked everything...
and still not working :/
Well - from your response I can't figure out, whether administrators (rather than regular members) can always send PM and whether a post count of zero fixes the problem for regular members too.
  Anyway, we are using the Simplicity theme - which behaves just as described.
  To cut a long story short: In order to find the root of the problem(s), you might want to turn off all customisation and check whether the default setup works just fine...

;-)
  krid

SleePy

Can somebody test these names out here? The forums where upgraded to a newer cvs version and the developers did implant some changes that should fix this.
From the looks of things it won't be changed for 1.1, but you will find this changed in 2.0 :)

Advertisement: