Using Digg For Self Promotion

Started by motumbo, October 11, 2007, 02:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motumbo

I have a blog with some interesting stuff on it, I think.  I was wondering if anyone submits their own articles to Digg as a method of self promotion.

If others are doing this and it isn't against any Digg rules (I didn't see any), then I suppose I would consider it.

Any thoughts?

青山 素子

Although there is no rule against it, the mob over at Digg will figure it out and start burying any article you submit.

Unless you think your blog entry is a must-read (and be truthful), it is best to not submit it. Get someone or a group who is on Digg to read the articles and submit them.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

christicehurst

So what can you "Digg" really? People digged the Charter Membership BETA release and that was really a private news release.
www.brisbanelionsunited.com - A forum for everyone!

青山 素子

You can digg whatever you want, but it will be burried if the mob thinks it is stupid.

The Digg mob is very much against self-promotion, so I would advise against submitting stuff to there that you created. If you see it listed there because someone else submitted it, you can certainly digg it.

It isn't really a rule, but more a way to avoid incurring the wrath of those who are regulars on the site.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Niteblade

The folks over at digg tend to be internet savvy, are are unlikely to read anything unless it's profound.

Digg and other social bookmarking services are good for creating backlinks to your site, and that's probably about it.

Even if your story is buried, there are still some BL pointing to your site. Besides, that site is very busy with other stories.. there's always like 4000+ upcoming stories.

So, if you're going to do it, make sure you're being different from the rest of the herd.
affiliate blog

Flying Drupalist

It doesn't hurt, so why not?

Digg is PR9, so their backlinks are helpful regardless of whether it gets on the front page or not.

Advertisement: