News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Cant backup forum

Started by EG, November 20, 2004, 04:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EG

I click all the buttons in Forum Maintenance, Backup forum. and it waits a bit then goes to a

"cannot find server"

"The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings."

and doesnt create teh gzip file... :(

any help Id be really grateful for

Trekkie101

what browser are you using, i cant backup using IE, Firefox works good, i ahve trouble posting here with IE it always looses the page and doesnt work but Firefox seems to work perfect, also the database can be backed up in phpMyAdmin if you had it.

EG

yeah Im running IE :(

actually the forum is running on my local server at home.

I need to backup the database so I can transfer it our new hosts

unforuntatley phpMyAdmin keeps timing out on our new hosts, wont even upload 2mb chunks :(

so i thought maybe if I could create a gzip file, I may be able to persuade it to take the database that way, using the restore_backup.php that unknown posted elsewhere on this forum :-\

this is SO annoying!  Our forum is working so well here, all I need to do now is let our members use it, and I cant get the database up!  :'(

Trekkie101

If you want i could give it a bash, just PM me the relevant details, like address and such and ill join and try, you can remove me right after.  :)

EG

thanks!

i wouldnt have a problem with that. except that the forum is running on my local - at-home- server.

its not on the web :(

i just want to backup the database to put it on the web...

(what i did was download the database from our old server, which was running YABBse.  I then upgraded it to SMF here at home on our local server, and now want to move it all up to our new hosts)

Trekkie101

I take it your not running apache or similar so i could use your IP to access SMF, well if you have mySQL installed you must have phpMyAdmin surely? You could backup using that, add me to msnm if you want to talk live.

EG

yeah I definately have phpMyAdmin

thats what Im trying to use to upload the database to the new host, but it doesnt want to know, it just keeps timing out

ive logged support tickets with them, I think theres a problem their end.

I just figured, perhaps if I could gzip the database I may be able to upload it a different way!

I'll see if youre on in the morning :)  thanks for your help :)

EG

thanks for your help

finally managed to upload the database by breaking down the 40mb file into 28 chunks!

how ridiculous ::)  what a crap host ::)

Advertisement: