News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

How to merge two SMF Forums?

Started by Hoshi, November 22, 2004, 12:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoshi

Are there any tools/convertors out yet that allow to merge two smf dbs into one forum installation?

Peter Duggan

No, sorry, it's not at all easy and AFAIK no-one's created one yet.

Hoshi

Thanks for your fast reply. I solved the problem by myself and converted my old ipb2 forum to smf and dropped the current db (80 posts).

NoRad

Well, I'm interested in possibly doing this myself so I'll bump this post again...

I have two websites that I essentially want to combine. One was a gaming website. The other was a general community website (with a small area for gaming). What I would like to do is take the bulk of the gaming website and bring them into the community site as child forums of the generic gaming area. The other facet of this problem is that I'd like to merge *most* of the user accounts (those that are active) from the gaming site with the accounts on the community site.

The gaming site:
Total Topics: 1351
Total Posts: 15092
Total Members: 438

The community site:
Total Topics: 3104
Total Posts: 41349
Total Members: 884

Any ideas?

Pause

Well, you'd obviously have to check first that there are no two usernames the same, and if you know SQL, then there's probably a way that you can combine users and posts (without dropping current users and posts) - but another thing you would have to make sure of is that the board structures are the same - e.g if the gaming site has 'General', 'Video Games', and 'Sport' in the 'General Discussion' category, the community site'd have to be exactly the same.
"You and me, inside that box, now." - The Doctor

Bite Fusion
Fusion Web Network
VG Fusion
Wrestling Fusion + Wrestling Fusion Forums

Peter Duggan

Quote from: Peter Duggan on September 24, 2004, 03:09:31 PM
Quote from: bluevoodu on September 24, 2004, 10:54:19 AM
I have search this board for help topics for about 1+ hours last night.... I couldn't seem to find anything that helped with merging a SMF existing board into my SMF board.... here is a little more information.

From search string 'merge forums' (the first thing I tried):

Quote from: [Unknown] on August 25, 2004, 11:25:42 PM
It may be possible to merge forums in the future, but currently it is not possible.... well, not really - there are a lot of problems it causes.

Quote from: [Unknown] on June 14, 2004, 12:39:21 PM
Easy?  No, there is no easy way of doing that :/.

Not perhaps what you were hoping to hear but, since I remembered reading some of this stuff before, I thought I'd see how quickly I could dig it up for you! ;)

Quote from: [Unknown] on November 09, 2004, 08:48:53 PM
I'm afraid that while I would like to make an "importer" for SMF to SMF, I don't currently have the time... because, for posts, it's quite a lot more complicated.

Quote from: MrCue on June 14, 2004, 12:42:39 PM
Im right in assuming that i can import 1 at a time, and change the ID's?

Quote from: [Unknown] on June 14, 2004, 01:49:11 PM
Yes, just as long as you change ALL the ids... it's no simple process, but that's how you could do it...

Greybrow

Did anything changed in last half of year?
I will do it anyway, but if it is already done, it would be easer :)

[Unknown]

I'm working on one for 1.1, but it's on the backburner currently.

-[Unknown]

NoRad

Glad I still have that old forum laying around.  :P

markymoo

Greybrow

Ben_S

Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Puc conDoin

Is it possible in MySQL to add something to an ID?

If you have 2 smf installations. And for example, the highest topic-id of the first one is 1500, and the second one has a highest topic id of 800, you can try to add 1500 to all topic-id's in the second smf installation, and then copy to the table in the first smf installation.

But what to do when it's the other way for the post-id's? That the highest id in the first smf install is 5000, but in the second smf install it is 8000?

Ben_S

Theres lots more to it than that.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Puc conDoin

Ofcourse, these are just some thoughts into it.

Puc conDoin

NoRad

So merge in PHBB and then switch to SMF lol

Puc conDoin

I don't think that is the right way to do it. You would lose information by doing that.

NoRad

Quote from: Puc conDoin on August 19, 2005, 07:40:53 PM
I don't think that is the right way to do it. You would lose information by doing that.

Yup, it was only a joke.  :P

Advertisement: