News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Download System

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, October 31, 2007, 06:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vbgamer45

Quote from: Arantor on October 22, 2013, 11:09:25 PM
Well, there's a good reason it's not deleted... what happens if you uninstall to install a later version? Would really suck to lose all your downloads like that.
Exactly the reason why the download folder remains. If someone no longer needs they can remove the folder completely themselves.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

awolexpat

Yes I understand that but just some sort of note on the mod page, or warning when uninstalling, that the folder does not get deleted would be a good addition, as there may be others who uninstall to save space.

Arantor

Kindred

you should be aware, then, that SMF themes act the same way -- when you remove the theme from your smf install, it does not delete the theme directory.

I'd have to say that this behavior is completely appropriate and even expected.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

awolexpat

Is this general SMF behaviour noted anywhere because I was not aware of it and i am sure there are others too. as regards Arantor's comment, I would think there are plenty of people who decide to uninstall something because of space concerns, as many will be on shared hosting or even free hosting where this is an issue. For me this was a side benefit rather than the reason as i have indicated. For future versions of SMF do you think it might be an idea to implement an optional deletion of such folders when the mod or theme installs one? I am not a noob and have been using SMF for some time and I was not aware that this didn't happen when a mod/theme is uninstalled/deleted.

Arantor

Speaking from having done years of experience of support, people do not generally remove components like that from their site due to space concerns. Especially because of the plethora of 'unlimited space' plans out there ;)

You've also noted that you have an alternative to the file serving - most users do not.

And no, I do not think it is a good idea to implement this in the manner you're thinking of into SMF's package system in the future.

awolexpat

Well, OK, but would you care to share why you think that? Or at least why it isn't made clear to SMF users that this is the normal behaviour? I think others would assume, like I did, that when you uninstall/delete a mod or theme that all the actions would be reversed that were carried out on installation. I'm not criticising, just pointing out something that is worth considering either changing the behaviour or making clearer to people. From your smiley I know you are aware that 'unlimited' is not the case so I don't know why you would object to something that would clearly help forum/website owners avoid coming up against the actual limits with all the hassle and performance limitations that can involve.

Kindred

well, first of all - since the only method to update some mods involves uninstalling them first and then installing the new version - could you imaing the issues if - every time you had to update the mod, it removed all your previous data?
Uninstalling a mod removes the code changes done by the mod - but not any data files or database tables.

second - it's assumed that, if the intention is to "save space", then you'll manually go into your files list and delete things from there. It's not like any of the forum files actually take up more than a few MB, in all.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Last point first, unlimited doesn't exist. But any site that does use such a host is going to hit many other limits far beyond hitting the space limit.

Secondly, as I just outlined, most people do not just up and delete mods to save space. You are frankly atypical. This is not based on guesswork but years of helping people with their SMF installations.

Thirdly, if it removed files on uninstall, it would screw up any mod that has to be uninstalled to add an update where new files are added. This affects so much more than your limited use case.

There are mods that did actually go out of their way to clean up. Typically backfired on them too because people don't read what's in front of them.

awolexpat

Kindred & Arantor,
I'm thinking that maybe you haven't been reading my posts fully; I did not say in any of them that I uninstalled this mod to save space, it just became unnecessary as what it offered was duplicated on my main website; however a side benefit of removing it was that it reduced space taken up, but only when I manually removed the downloads folder that had been created by the mod. I also only originally suggested adding a note to the mod page and/or the install notes to inform users that they would need to delete the folder manually. I then went on to suggest having an optional deletion of such folders when uninstalling in a future version of SMF, not a mandatory one.

I don't know if there are, were or will be other users of this mod that wanted or will want to uninstall it to save space but surely my suggestions are not a reason for you to be so uppity is it? And the same can apply to any other mods/themes - just make people aware that this is how SMF's mod/theme installation operates. As I said, I am sure there are many other users out there that think that a mod uninstall/deletion would be the reverse of the install. I'm not saying the existing behaviour has to change, just make sure people are aware of it. I guess I thought that because most, if not all, Wordpress plugins issue a warning that your data will be deleted when uninstalling that this might be possible with SMF as well. I don't mind, I thought I was being helpful in pointing out a behaviour I hadn't been aware of before.

cee山

Quote from: Sakae on October 03, 2008, 11:27:53 AM
Hey, vbgamer45.

I finally managed to access www.tinyportal.net and I search for a bunch of threads there, and the common answer for a TP BLOCK WITH RECENTLY ADDED DOWNLOADS was "ask for the mod creator".

Can you provide that block code snippet? Thanks in advance...

I found a block code with most popular downloads (add in a phpbox):

global $db_prefix, $scripturl;

$request = db_query("SELECT f.ID_FILE, f.ID_MEMBER, f.date, f.ID_CAT, f.title AS ftitle, f.totaldownloads,
c.title, m.realName, m.ID_MEMBER AS mID_MEMBER
FROM {$db_prefix}down_file AS f, {$db_prefix}down_cat AS c, {$db_prefix}members AS m
WHERE f.ID_CAT = c.ID_CAT
AND f.approved = '1'
AND f.ID_MEMBER = m.ID_MEMBER
ORDER BY totaldownloads DESC
LIMIT 10",__FILE__,__LINE__);
while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($request)) {
echo '<table width="100%" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
<td valign="top" class="smalltext"> <a href="',$scripturl,'?action=downloads;sa=view;id=',$row['ID_FILE'],'">',$row['ftitle'],'</a></td>
<td valign="top" class="smalltext" align="right">',$row['totaldownloads'],'</td>
</tr>
</table>';
}

need DownloadSystem2.1a

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Pentaxian

Here added a Dutch translation for utf8 for this mod. Thanks for the mod!

vbgamer45

Quote from: Pentaxian on April 23, 2014, 07:00:00 AM
Here added a Dutch translation for utf8 for this mod. Thanks for the mod!
Thanks for the translation.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Hey VBgamer, need a pointer or two about the block listings display...

I want a category name to be displayed on a line under the thumbnail along with all the other data displayed there, mainly because i have already tweaked it a little to display a set of randomly chosen files on my portal page & they are various media types so the category name would be a bit more descriptive for the members

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

vbgamer45

You would need to a left join with down_cat table and then use ID_CAT and title from that table.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Quote from: vbgamer45 on May 01, 2014, 11:36:25 AM
You would need to a left join with down_cat table and then use ID_CAT and title from that table.

Do I need to modify the template, can't quite figure out where I'm screwing up, Downloads2.php attached

Had it working in a much older version of Downloads Pro, will take a look at that again

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Advertisement: