News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Download System

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, October 31, 2007, 06:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragon41673

Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

Dragon41673

Well...I was unable to find where that is at, I may not have access to it. So while I wait for my host provider to contact me back I was toying around with Filezilla. There doesn't seem to be a way to upload the files directly in to the folder for the "downloads" folder is there? It seems to rename them to something different and doesn't actually show the PDF.

Is there a reason behind that?

Thanks

Dragon41673

Ok...talked with the host provider, my upload limit is 100MB so there should be no issue.

Any other suggestions?

Black Tiger

It says that it could be incorrect .htaccess directive. Maybe a typo?
What is the exact command you put in the .htaccess?
Greetings, Black Tiger

Dragon41673

Black Tiger

In that case, check your downloads directory and see if it's set to chmod 777. It seems your provider is running su-php or mod_ruid.
If it's set at 777 then change it to 755.
Greetings, Black Tiger

Dragon41673

Ok...thank you. I will check that when my son goes down for a nap...but why would I be able to upload other files that are smaller & not the one that is 50.2mb?

Black Tiger

Quotebut why would I be able to upload other files that are smaller & not the one that is 50.2mb?
That's indeed a bit strange.

You could enter these lines in the .htaccess file, it might help:
php_value upload_max_filesize 100M
php_value post_max_size 100M

Greetings, Black Tiger

Dragon41673

Quote from: Black Tiger on May 30, 2015, 12:10:36 PM
In that case, check your downloads directory and see if it's set to chmod 777. It seems your provider is running su-php or mod_ruid.
If it's set at 777 then change it to 755.

Just looking from my phone, I don't see where to change that setting. Could you point me in the right direction? It doesn't seem to be in the configuration settings in SMF's admin area nor in the file manager of my hosting account.

Black Tiger

You said you have Cpanel. It's visible in the most right section of the file manager.
I had some test install present on a cpanel server, so I was able to make a screenshot for you, and I put an arrow where you can see the permissions.

You can also login with FTP. Every FTP client has an option to change the permissions (chmod).
Greetings, Black Tiger

Dragon41673

Ahhh...ok, I'll try that in a little while when my son goes down for his nap as trying to do things on a phone are a PITA.

Sorry for not knowing, I just switched from GoDaddy to Siteground earlier this month (before I tried this mod) and it's my first experience with cpanel. Much better in my opinion than the crap I had on GoDaddy.

Black Tiger

Greetings, Black Tiger

Dragon41673

Ok, it was set at 0755...I've changed it to 0777 just for the heck of it & am trying to upload the file again

Dragon41673

Yep...that didn't work. Trying to upload it now via FTP to a specific folder, then will try the "upload url" option.

Dragon41673

Ok, I just successfully uploaded a file that was 47.06MB...doing a smaller file now at 15.5MB...then going to try attempting the 50.2MB one again.

Dragon41673

Nope...didn't work. Going to try your .htaccess update & give it another go.

Dragon41673

Ok...tried adding the code to my .htaccess file, and it broke my site so I changed it back.

Any other suggestions? I love the layout for this download system, and how it shows the downloads...but I NEED it to work for files up to 100MB

Dragon41673

Figured out the issue...any file that has simple text or numbers works fine. Any file that has special characters in it such as ( )...fails. Not sure if this is by design or not...but it works just fine with letters & numbers only.

Thanks!

Black Tiger

That's good to hear, I did not now that either.
It's great you discovered exactly what the problem was. Hope the coder can fix this.
However, I would firstly set the permissions back to 755 anyway.
Greetings, Black Tiger

Dragon41673

Quote from: Black Tiger on May 30, 2015, 05:29:30 PM
That's good to hear, I did not now that either.
It's great you discovered exactly what the problem was. Hope the coder can fix this.
However, I would firstly set the permissions back to 755 anyway.

Yep...already did that when it didn't work.

Thanks for all the assistance! I learned a bit today! lol

Advertisement: