SMF/MOS Bridge does not work for me !

Started by zenpierre, November 22, 2004, 03:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenpierre

Hello, I have just decided to move from PhPBB to SMF and wanted ti use the bridge as I am currently using Mambo, PHPBB and Coppermine.

So,; I followed all the instruction with one common database (I took the SMF one and added mos table).
Well, I did everything except one line that I do not what to do with :

"In order to call this component directly, the query string must be:
?option=com_smf_registration&task=register"

But I guess I did not went to th epoint where having this set makes the difference.
So I have publishe that single login module and have all same users into both dDBs but...
When I hit login, nothing happen. Then, I remebered that I had to go into admin of SMF and change cookies settings.
Well, when I do that I can't logout anymore from SMF never get the login icon abck, it always display the logout icon.

So .... what esle ???  ::)  I am lost as a newbie that I am.
help Welcome. :D

Orstio

QuoteWell, I did everything except one line that I do not what to do with :

"In order to call this component directly, the query string must be:
?option=com_smf_registration&task=register"

The key word there is "directly".  As I've said before, some people were trying to link to the registration from their Mambo main menu, and they added the link as a component, which doesn't work.  It must look like the above, not with "Itemid=".  If you can't figure out what to do with it, you probably don't need it.

QuoteWhen I hit login, nothing happen. Then, I remebered that I had to go into admin of SMF and change cookies settings.
Well, when I do that I can't logout anymore from SMF never get the login icon abck, it always display the logout icon.

First, do you have the v2.04 beta installed, or a previous version?  I suggest upgrading if it is not v2.04.

Second, what are your setting for the following in SMF:

Database driven sessions
Local cookies
Subdomain independent cookies

zenpierre

As said, for the first part, I have not yet figured out what to do with and how to use it and where. May be i'll discover this as a next piece that does not work.

So far, every steps of you rinstallion went smoothly but then, I was not able to do a simple login  :(

Yes, I am using the last version of the Bridge if found. That si the MOS_SMF_BRDIGEv2.04beta. So that should be it.

Here are the details you requested:

Database driven sessions YES
Local cookies NO
Subdomain independent cookies YES

Is there anything not mentionned in the readme that I should take care of  ???

Thanks.

Orstio

Try different combinations of those, even including all to NO.

Try first setting database driven sessions to no, if that doesn't work, try all to no, and if it still doesn't work, try with only database driven sessions to yes.

Clear your cookies each time you change it before you attempt a login.

BTW -- Parlais-tu en Francais?  Je peux t'aider aussi en Francais, si tu veux. ;)

zenpierre

Well... I am sorry to say that none of these diffrent settings works  :(

I really do not understand what I am missing here. There is no error message, just that when clicking in the login button, nothing happen or I should say, it does no recogniez me as a registred user and show me in Mambo the message "you are not authorized to show this ressource, you must identify yourself".

I am lost here an dother tips I could check.

By the way, yes, I do speak french  (I am from Belgium, Brussels). But english is Ok unless you feel my english is really too bad and I should definetly switsh to French. Or ...may be you wanna chat in French  ;D

Kindred

hang on a second...

you get a security message when you attempt to login?

Check your Mambo settings...   
1- you unpublished the old mambo login module
2- you published the new smf-login module
3- the smf-login module permission is set to PUBLIC?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

zenpierre

Here is the result kindred,

Check your Mambo settings...   
1- you unpublished the old mambo login module I just tried and it does not make any difference
2- you published the new smf-login module  YES
3- the smf-login module permission is set to PUBLIC?  YES

All my site need registration to see the content. SO basically the main page is onle the login menu and on txt in the page is an invitation to register or login to see the content. If your login failed which seems to be the case towards Mambo, Mambo display that message that you can view the required information because you do not have acces  (meaning you have to login first). This is common to Mambo using all content as registered only.

Kindred

zenpierre,

Let me take a look at your layout...  it might have something to do with it.
(in certain layouts, I've noticed Mambo to act kinda funky)
What is your site's address?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

zenpierre

While investigatoin and testing again and again, I remembered me the process by which I updated the SMF database by adding all the Mambo tables.
That worked fine but then, there is a little think that can make the difference and that I forgot (remember, I am a newbie, so quite comon with those poeple  :D).
Well I didn't update my database settings in Mambo. SO Mambo was always pointing to Mambo database and not SMF database with all Mambo tables  :o.

And of course, I did all update procedure for Bridge using the Mambo DB alone  :-[.

Then, another mistake is that when I decided to change the DB settings well, of course all the data on the Bridge module ...dissappeared from Mambo list :-[

SO, I hope I will not have to redo again the process to install the bridge but can just export again the table towards SMF DB. Please advice me on that one.

By the way it is becoming late over here 23:58 local time and I will go to sleep.
I have my head full of SMF. But that is a good thing as I like it more and more despite of my newbie mistakes  ;) 

Kindred

OK... this is fairly easy...

go to your old database.
extract the data.
go to your new database.
import the data.

change configuration.php in your root mambo directory

change config.smf.php in your com_smf directory.

the bridge doesn't care about the name of the database if SMF and mambo share the same database. WHat it needs to know if the prefix for the smf and mambo tables (i.e. smf_ and mos_)
Слaва
Украинi

Orstio

QuoteBy the way, yes, I do speak french  (I am from Belgium, Brussels). But english is Ok unless you feel my english is really too bad and I should definetly switsh to French. Or ...may be you wanna chat in French 

I just thought the name, plus some of your diction suggested that your first language was French, and I could help you in French as well, if English was a problem. Your English is fine.
:)

I think Kindred's instructions will have your problem fixed.

zenpierre

So, looks like I moved one step forward with my last changes. Still it doesn't don anything on login. here is what I did:

from the two databases I was using, I moved all the tables from Mambo DB into the SMF DB. All tables (both SMF and Mambo) are now in the SMF database. SO far so good  :)
Then, I added my old mmabo user to the SMF DB. Then, I changed in the config of mambo to reflect new databse (SMF one). user remain the same as I added it in the SMF DB and pefix do not change neither (mos_).

So, I then unpublished the old login module and pusblish the new one(SMF bridge one).

Guess what, from My Mambo main page, I see clearly the new login menu (a little bit difrent from old one in the design) but still, when I enter a user and its password and click on login, nothing happen !

I notice that if I click on the link login directly I have the SMF opening full page and the same if I click register, I have the register facility full page.

So how do i do to be able to login into mambo from that new login module?
What is the missing piece ? Any idea?

Now, I have unpublished that module and publish the old one. Everything seems to work normal with one DB and both SMF/Mambo table. I'll keep that way of working. So all mods are already ready for use with single login form... when it will work  >:(

Orstio

Can you give a URL?  You can PM it, if you don't want the site public.

zenpierre

OK, I sent you the URL in PM.
let me know if you need something else in order to help me on this problem.

Merci beaucoup Orstio.  ;)

zenpierre

OK, Orstio found my problem. Thnaks for that Orstio, you were quick on this as usual. ;D

The fact is that when I create a menu item to link it to SMF forum, I forgot that this one should be put with access "Public". As said by Orstio, mambo does not let the login works because it first detect that the user must be registred....

The problem I have is that my site was supposed to be all hidden unless you first login and then disciver all menuitems and content which are "registred only".
So, I am a bi lost now as I can go to forumn from unregistred zone (my first page").

Any idea how to do to preserve my site content  ? I do not want it to be public, it is dedicated to only poeple live in the area. So I filter as much as I can.

zenpierre

Another thing I see now that I can login is that manbo keeps the status logged in even if I disconnect with new Bridge login module.

Kindred

Zenpierre,

On your front page, have a nice introduction for anyone who visits.
Set your Login module to public.

Have all menus and other content as registered.

When the user logs in, all registered menus will become visible.

Alternatively, you can talk to Marcnyc regarding how he set up his pages. His pages change (graphics and content) after you log in.
Слaва
Украинi

zenpierre

That is exactly what I had before my bridge trial.

In normal situation, I have the main page with a simple text initating to register to see the content.

So I have only the contcat us and Login/register menu.

Now, trying the bridge, I aml told that the item menu that linked to the SMF forum must be public.
So I have it in addition to main main page now.

Is there a way to keep everything private " Registered" and still using the bridge Mambo/SMF ?

Kindred

colour me confused...

the smf_login module must be public.

the link to the forum does not need to be public....

Wait...   now that is truly bizarre...

Here's how you can (possibly) get around this...

Make a link in your menu for the SMF forums. Make it public. Publish, login...  make certain your site is working properly for logins and registrations.

make ANOTHER link in your menu for SMF forums. Make it registered, publish...
UNPUBLISH your previous (public) link, but do not trash it.

When I did this on my site, it now works properly.
Users coming to the site do not see the forum link until they log in... and logins work.

I believe that you can also make it so that people can not get to your smf folder, directly by using the .htaccess file.
Слaва
Украинi

zenpierre

You were just right Kindred.

After doing what you described here, it now works. I can keep all my site "registred" and still use the new login for the bridge.

That is quite strange that we have to have 2 links to our Forum, one "public" and not published and the other one "registred" and pusblished. Strange thing but at least it works  :D .

Thank you so much kindred.
I will also certainly use the setup you mentionned in order to avoid direct link towards content parts of my site like the forum,... I always wan my users to strat from the main page and not go directly somewhere in the site.

Next steps are to change the login form a little bit to reflect the old one from mambo and remove the login part from the SMF template. I will certainly find this in the forum.

I'd like to thank Orstio for his great job on this bridge and for your support all. Thanks.  ;) I am a SMF user now !

Advertisement: