News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Access of certain members to one board cant be changed

Started by EG, November 22, 2004, 06:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EG

ive just upgraded our forum from YABBse to SMF, and its fantastic!

I have one problem tho

we have one board, where certain membersgroups are allowed access.

At the moment, only half of them can access it

I went into "Manage Boards" and "modified" the board, checking the boxes against their names and clicked "save changes" and all that happened is that it added Newborn members access to that board, and none of the ones I checked!

can you advise ...

(Ive done all the repair options I can think of on the forum!)

Grudge

Ummm... do the checkboxes not save next to these other membergroups names? How many membergroups do you currently have setup on your forum? If you have many many membergroups (More than say 35) - it maybe that the database field for membergroups isn't long enough - but I'll wait for your reply first :)
I'm only a half geek really...

EG

no the checked tickboxes dont save at all, they remain blank  (except that newborn members become checked all on their own ;))

we have 43 member groups (including Admin, GMs) but excluding newborn... senior members etc.

Grudge

OK. I think that the number of membergroups may be the problem. Basically, to allow access to membergroups SMF lists all the IDs for the groups in a comma seperated line:
i.e
0,1,4,7,22,66 etc

The field is only *so* long in the database, so it is probably running out of space. You have two options (1 quick and easy, one better in the long run but oh well!)

Firstly, in the "boards" table in the database extend the length of the "membergroups" column, making it 255 should work I believe.

The second one is actually probably too much work to ask you to do, though it has given me a thought for a new feature to make it easier in the future :o

EG

OK

actually ive had a thought too.......

on the YABBse forum, all the moderators were set up with their own titles. So that some could moderate some boards, but not all of them (I think that was the intention of the original owner)

but now, we can set permissions of the moderators with SMF cant we ...

so maybe I just need to restructure the moderators, now we're on SMF :-\

Grudge

Ummm... moderators are assigned in the manage boards area though? You can't give them a special name though, they all take the "moderators" title, but they are assigned through manage boards.

EG

yeah

at the moment, we have no "moderators" as such

each moderator is its own "member group" as assigned by their title...

so, if they dont moderate a certain board, their moderator stars dont show up..

Advertisement: