Can I request some help everyone

Started by pedrobessawales, November 14, 2007, 02:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedrobessawales

I want to build a forum for our club website, but have no idea where to start as Im not that computer literate. I have a mac which i use but have a pc with vista laptop as well.. I really would like to get a great looking forum up but Im struggling can anyone give me advice on how to get a forum and how to build it etc.
thanks
brian

Noddegamra

First, you need to purchase some hosting (free always has downsides such as problems with server downtimes, hidden ads etc). You need to ensure this has atleast 1 MySQL database and PHP support.

Secondly you need a domain name. Something relative to your club. Eventhough .com and .net are more expensive, they tend to be the best option as people remember them better.

Thirdly, you need to upload and install your SMF forum. There is instillation help and technical support for this in documentation and other areas of the forum. So I wont go into these here. However, setup/instillation is a fairly easy process. It's unlikely you will need help, just givie it a go. IF you do need help though, do NOT share your database, hosting, or admin passwords!!!. It is extremely risky and people can hijack your site!

Fourth - You can search google for "free SMF templates". Or there are some that you can download from this website. Again, installing these are documented and you can recieve support through the forum.

Number 5 - You may want to read my post to help you build your community: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=190581.0

Other than that, give the website address to your club friends/members. Get them to sign up and share it with people.

Good luck :)

Mat @ SWS

what he said ^^^

i could also help for a small price though (get you hotsing etc)
Spire Web Solutions
SWS | Forum | Blog

Advertisement: