Strange Problem with Member Approval e-mails, group wrangling and RC1

Started by madandy007, November 29, 2004, 07:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madandy007

Hi there...

I hope I'm not breaking the rules by not upgrading to RC2 yet and posting a question but a search hasn't revealed anything like this.

First, a story: Due to "political" reasons we moved our forum from Member Activation to Member Approval. Also we needed information from all our existing members to remain as members.

What I did was create two temporary groups: one called "temp - non-approved" and "temp - approved". I then changed all the boards and removed access permissions for "ungrouped, members, jr. members etc." and allowed access from "temp -approved" in their place.
(I could have banned all our members but with this method I could create a board that explained why we needed the extra information for them to become members again).

Then I placed all our non-admin members into "temp - non-approved". This seemed to work well. I mailshot our existing members and explained why we needed the extra info, we'd then receive the details we need for membership and we'd remove them from "temp -non-approved" and add "temp -approved"

Also for safety I set all the group permissions on the "temp - non-approved" to "deny".

This is what seems to have happened: New member joins, get's the usual e-mail "you will be approved by an admin". From what I've gathered every single person in the "temp - non-approved" group has been receiving the "A new member has joined... Click here to activate them".

In other words, I've been sending what should be just admin mail to all our non-approved members!

As a test I joined a new test user up and it took 2 minutes for it to register - that is, e-mails were being sent to all our non-approved members (plus I got an e-mail from my other test user that was non-approved.)

Unfortunately I've fixed the problem quickly by scrapping the group but if required I can set up the last backup on my local Apache & MySQL system. I had to work quickly as I was getting lots of e-mails (some abusive) from confused people asking to be unsubscribed!

For the life of me I can't seem to work out why admin e-mails would go to this "non-approved" group.

TIA

Andy
Andy

[Unknown]

This was a bug in RC1, actually.  You can either upgrade, or change the "moderate forum members" permissions to "disallow" instead of "deny".

-[Unknown]

madandy007

Ooops! I think I should have searched harder.

Sorry and thanks Unknown!

A.
Andy

Advertisement: