[BETA] Multiple personas mod

Started by jack, December 03, 2004, 09:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

Hmm. I can't replicate your problem.

Here is what I have done :

Created three accounts, test1 test2 and testpers

Set up two Virtual Machines for the 'users' and am using my live server.

Modified test1 and test2 so that they can both use testpers as a persona.

Logged in as test1 and switched to the testpers persona.
Browsed around.

In a separate VM session, logged into the site as test2 and switched to the testpers persona
Browsed around.

Going back to the first session, I can click on 'Personas' and can see 'Return to Normal' same on the second session.

Is the above the scenario you are experiencing problems?
Do you have any other mods applied to the forum?

Altair

Just posting here so it appears in "New replies to your posts" when I check it. I am very happy that jack is going to upgrade this for 2.0 8D

Eliana Tamerin

Ok, I tested it now, and it works. Must have been an older version.

Also, I've been trying to get it to display under the username in the TinyPortal User block. So far, I can only get the "Return to Normal' statement to display on all pages, but not the actual usernames to switch to. The odd thing is, they'll show up in the User block while I'm on the Personas page, but nowhere else.

Any ideas as to how I could get this working? I'm getting undefined index errors on is_persona and personas when I try to do this.

I've attached the code I use for this. It's just ripped from the Personas.template.php file with a few cosmetic alterations. All globals are declared that are on the Personas.template.php page.
if (allowedTo('personas_change'))
  {
    if (count($context['personas'])) {
      echo '<br /><span class="smalltext"><b>Switch to:</b></span>';
      // For every member display their name, time and action (and more for admin).
      foreach ($context['personas'] as $persona) {

echo '
            <br /><span class="smalltext"> <a href="' . $scripturl . '?persona=' . $persona["ID"] . '">' . $persona['name'] . '</a></span>';
      }
    }
    else
    {
      echo '';
    }

if ($context['persona']['is_persona']) {
    echo '
      <br /><span class="smalltext"<b><a href="' .  $scripturl . '?persona=0">' . $txt['personas_revert'] . '</a></b></span>';
    }
    else
    {
      echo '';
    }
}

I'm thinking it's probably something to do with the declarations in index.php. However, even adding 'personas' => array('Personas.php''TPortalBlocks'), doesn't allow it to show up.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Burke ♞ Knight

I installed the mod, yet can't find anything about it in my forum.
I'm running 1.1.5 and it installed nicely.
However, no settings, no nothing.
Where do I go to see it?

Eliana Tamerin

Admin CP > Features and Options > Karma. Enable it there.

Download | Docs

Burke ♞ Knight

Ok, I got it going.
However, how do I make it so a person can only use their own accounts for personas?

Altair

I never figured that out either. I just have my Mod team take care of it at the members request. That it what they are there for besides watching for trouble. :)

SanaMV

Noctivagus

Hi there, I'm a bit new to php and forum building and stuff but I have what I think is a feature request...

Would it be at all possible to link the accounts based on the e-mail address registered with, as, most of the time all of the linked personas belong to the same person... it would kill two birds with one stone on my forum... that being, allowing the use of what looks like an awesome mod, as well, letting members register each time with the same e-mail address.

If this is too difficult or a bad idea please disregard this message as a techno peasant blabbering.

Thanks.

Eliana Tamerin

Download | Docs

Burke ♞ Knight

Eliana Tamerin,

Instead of using yout trick, as you do admit there could be problems. (I respect the fact you put those messages in that topic. :) )

I have my own domain, so I just make forwarded email accounts for my members. That way, they can use the forwarded email addresses to register, and any emails sent, gets forwarded to their main account's true email address.

Eliana Tamerin

While I make warnings, I have yet to encounter any security issues while using my mod. I put the warnings up for liability issues, but I use the trick on my own forum, so I would say that it's pretty secure. There's not much somebody can do by registering with your email unless they have access to that email.

However, SlammedDime is currently developing a Sub-Accounts mod that should completely replace the functionality of the MP mod. This is currently being developed for 2.0, but he intends to backport it to 1.1.5 when it's stable. http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=241961.0

Download | Docs

Burke ♞ Knight

Is this mod going to be made for SMF 2.0?

Dollie

Is this currently unsupported? Also, is the most recent code still valid? I tried to install it, however, it gives me a verification error when I attempt to apply the mod.

QuoteSession verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again.

Is there anything to be done about it?

[SiNaN]

Yeah, it seems like it is no longer supported. Check this topic though, a similar one:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=241961.0
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

Esgaroth

Hello - am VERY new to forum management and not really sure where to begin. I came across this thread by searching for what I could on any suggestions on how to handle multiple registrations on one email address. I have set up my forum as a place for RPG and my users will want to switch to different characters. Ive been reading through this thread and understand that there are methods where I can create a persona switch, but I was curious to know if there were security issues after all with using the mod.  We've been trying to avoid some trolls who know a bit about hacking into sites and we want to keep as strong a security for our forum as possible, but we're also trying to over come the usual RPG problems when it comes to forums. Id like to use the mod if it is viable, but Id also like to hear from someone if there are indeed any security problems by setting up this mod.

Eliana Tamerin

Download | Docs

Esgaroth

Thank you for the response!

Snickerz

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2011, 12:58:07 AM
This mod is more secure and updated: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2264

I do believe this is no longer working. I have 2.0.8 and this mod didn't work, but I do really like this idea, so if perhaps there's another one I haven't found, or anyone knows someone that is doing something, or able to do something like this for my version. I'd certainly like to let them know I'm interested.

Eliana Tamerin

Quote from: Snickerz on September 11, 2014, 04:28:32 PM
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2011, 12:58:07 AM
This mod is more secure and updated: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2264

I do believe this is no longer working. I have 2.0.8 and this mod didn't work, but I do really like this idea, so if perhaps there's another one I haven't found, or anyone knows someone that is doing something, or able to do something like this for my version. I'd certainly like to let them know I'm interested.

Yeah, sadly it seems like SlammedDime left and no one decided to take over the mod. It's a shame, there's a small community that could make use of it if only someone would take it up. I think someone is writing a similar mod for Elkarte (SMF fork), but I'm not sure if they've released it to the public yet.

Download | Docs

Advertisement: