News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Alias Boards

Started by dougiefresh, December 11, 2007, 12:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougiefresh

Link to Mod

Install Requirements
This mod was tested on SMF 2.0.11, but should work on SMF 2.1 Beta 3, as well as SMF 2.0 and up.  SMF 2.1 Beta 1, 2.1 Beta 2, and SMF 1.x will not and will not be supported.

If you are using Split Forum mod, this mod should be installed BEFORE the Split Forum mod!

Introduction
This Mod allows you to Alias/Symlink or more commonly known for windows users as shortcuts.
This emulates another board by copying its data into another location. This will show on the MessageIndex as well.

Admin Settings
Under Admin => Forum => Boards, functionality has been added to the Add and Edit Board UIs in order to add the ability to create, remove and update the aliases to boards

Translators
o Spanish Latin: Rock Lee [BC]

Changelog
The changelog has been removed and can be seen at XPtsp.com.

License
Copyright (c) 2017 - 2018, Douglas Orend, Kirk Sykora
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

eleven0

This is something different. Nice mod.

tensop

does this mean posts in the child forum will appear in the forum above it(but not the other way around)?

Aileen

Can it parse all existing messages for 2 or more forum in 1 single new forum?

SleePy

Quote from: Eleven0 on December 11, 2007, 08:30:20 AM
This is something different. Nice mod.
Yes it is. It is something though I see some forums needing. They have a very detailed layout for eac section and some forums should just be combined. This makes it nice for like a support forum and you don't want duplicate boards in some areas, allowing a person to trail through the boards to find the specific one they need even though its in another location totally.

Quote from: tensop on December 11, 2007, 08:31:40 AM
does this mean posts in the child forum will appear in the forum above it(but not the other way around)?
This mod doesn't change how posts will show. It basically just duplicates what that board content is and shows it to you.

Quote from: Aileen on December 11, 2007, 09:55:16 AM
Can it parse all existing messages for 2 or more forum in 1 single new forum?
Sadly no it can't. But not to say this can't be done. It would be a different mod though to do this as its out of the scope of the mods intentions.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

vagrant

Very nice and useful mod.  Thanks for all the hard work you do.

vagrant

Rudolf

Isn't this the same as the redirection boards?
You can do the same thing with it.
I will update all my mods in the next few weeks. Thanks for your patience.

SVG-Collapse (you need an SVG compliant browser)

karlbenson

The one downside of redirection boards is that it doesnt show the statistics on the board index.

SleePy

Actually no Rudolf,
Redirection boards redirects from location A to location B. Location B can be anything.

This mod basically is a symlink of one location to another.
Such as a symlink of /bin/apachectl to /user/local/apache/bin/apachectl
The first file just points to the second one and works correctly if it is used.
My mod even has it emulate the board ID, posts, and latest member.

Really though this was an interesting mod idea I had. I knew this was possible and wanted this mod out there for people who really need this. I have seen forums where people just put up tons of child boards that they really could just have going to one board and the only reason they do this is so people can find things no mater its order. The work behind this is nasty, I rewrote it three times until I came up with the current method and found it to be the best.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

watchhorse

Wij zoeken diergerelateerde fora ter overname.
Pb gerust als je geen tijd of zin meer hebt om uw forum te onderhouden.

Flying Drupalist

Thank you so much, I requested this a while ago. You're a real lifesaver.

karlbenson

Sleepy.
I just wondered (and before someone else asks)
Does the mod take any account of duplicated content = negative seo effect?

Although the topic link would be the same, the MessageIndex would be a duplicate?
Would you recommend setting the noindex metatag for Aliased boards.

SleePy

Quote from: watchhorse on December 25, 2007, 11:52:15 AM
Demo???

The was one on my site. But I recently did a development update of 2.0 to my site and forgot to reinstall that mod. I fixed it though and now it shows up.

Karl, It doesn't use the nometa tag.. I wil have to look into this. Only way is to either use preg_match and replace it or more simply recreate the href setup and hope themes are using that.
Its an exact copy of the board down to the board id.. So it holds all the same content.

jossanaijr

Can I use this MOD to copy only ONE topic to another board?
What I need is to manually choose one board each week to be placed in a "Topic of the Week" that will be placed as a first board in my forum.  Every week I will manually change this feature topic.

karlbenson

It alias's a WHOLE board.

You can't pick and choose and topics.

And in response to my posts above, after doing some testing there won't be any Negative SEO effect because it uses the exact same link. ;)

jossanaijr

catchpen

so 3 or 4 child boards can have their topics show in the same main category too?  That's awesome.

SleePy

Yes child boards should show just fine. But Child of Childs will not work at all since this that information is not loaded by default on the boardindex.

karlbenson

Sleepy.
Indeed you need to change your nic to Lazy ;)

Anyways ;)

Line 22 of database_install.php
      if(isset($SmfFunc) && !empty($smfFunc))
And line 30
   if(isset($SmcFunc) &&

Not sure if $SmfFunc is meant to be $smfFunc?
Or is this something from an early 2.0 dev version?

SleePy

No just a typo while making the installer work with all versions of SMF.
reuploaded the corrected versions.

Advertisement: