News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Exclamation mark in URL

Started by mrhope, December 28, 2007, 04:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrhope

URLs that contain exclamation marks do not convert properly. Example of such a URL.

http://bhandler.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!70F64BC910C9F7F3!1822.entry

Kindred

???    but what SMF url contains an exclamation mark?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

karlbenson

I think he is referring to the example above.

It looks as if Microsoft is giving out urls with ! in them.
(is it even valid?)

SMF's auto convert urls is cutting the link off too soon.

SleePy

I believe there was a bug report like this back a while ago.

Found it and the reference I needed, ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3986.txt

From what I understood ! isn't valid. Though I May have an old version of the rfc.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

mrhope

I would of imagined this has been brought up but after a search couldn't find it so thought I'd mention it. It does appear from that RFC and everything else I could find that it's a reserved character. So I guess Microsoft is just breaking the rules again.

karlbenson

I had a quick google search before.
And couldn't find anything on it.

But to find out which RFC is current is harder than understanding it once you've got your hands on it ;)

SleePy

I wouldn't be surprised looking at the url if Microsoft is attempting to change ?;& to ! and =, to . :P

Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Thantos

! is allowed in certain parts of the URL.  It really isn't that hard to figure out what is allowed, simply look at the BNF for the syntax.

Now we've actually discussed this before and the determination was that the auto linker should make a best guess and not try to be perfect.  This is because users aren't perfect and may end a url with punctation.  "Hey check out www.simplemachines.org!"

Certain symbols might be added as they become more popular in URLs though.

Advertisement: