News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Permissions BUG!!!

Started by Smoky "Rider" Blue, December 30, 2007, 03:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoky "Rider" Blue

ok this is something i have noticed when designing themes. My host suggested that I should post it here..

"when the "copy the default theme" u make doesn't have my username as owner...but has "nobody" and therefore uve no permissions to edit files.." conversation between me and my host..

to make this more clear: when i create a theme from the default.. it goes fine.. however when i want to change images it pops off with i have no permission to do so, when i know i do.. and when i try to change that, by chmod.. this happens every time i do this and i have had to have my host reset everything, each time. is there a "fix" for this?? i have searched here and there.. but havent found anything..

I could work up a package for this and it would correct the whole thing, should anyone else run into this problem. (which i knew a few people that this has happened to, besides myself) so  i have made up new packages for designer themes.. (located on my site, since im not allowed to attach anything here) http://twistedgraffix.com/main/index.php?topic=446.new#new

if anyone feels that i am right on this, please move my post to the best area, let me know i can submit this as a mod, and if i am wrong, post up.. thanks for your time in reading this..

Smoky
TwistedGraffix.com
**Take the time to remember friendships and family.. Sometimes it's all we have, and missed very much**

SleePy

I don't see what is wrong. Looking at the copy function it duplicates the file and with either 755 or 777 permissions (if 755 didn't make it writable).
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

karlbenson

Sleepy, I've had the exact same issue with Godaddy.

When copying any theme using SMF, the folders and files which SMF creates don't have any permissions, so I can't edit, delete, move, view or download the files.  CHMOD has been set and reset to 777, but it doesnt make any difference.

I though it was a godaddy issue myself.

If I want to have a new theme I have to copy the theme folder myself via ftp.

SleePy

The only issue I can see is php is running as a different user and thus your ftp client can't edit the php files created by php. I would assume then attachments would be failing as well
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Smoky "Rider" Blue

well ya'll.. according to tinyportal, they are saying it is a hosting issue.. hmm ok.. well for those that can't do it, or dont know how to move the folder.. you are more than welcome to grab mine from my site.. remember, it is just the basic way to make a theme.. only includes the images, index.php, index.template.php, and the style.css.. any questions, continue to post here..  :D
**Take the time to remember friendships and family.. Sometimes it's all we have, and missed very much**

SleePy

Redistribution of SMF files is agaisnt our license.

Smoky "Rider" Blue

ok then i wont hand them out. thank you Sleepy, for clearing that up. i guess theme making is out for me too. Sorry guys.

SleePy

I don't see what your issue could be.
copying a theme works fine on my live site which uses suphp to run as the cpanel user.
My test site on my computer runs in group www and my account name is in that group and this works just fine as well.

Smoky "Rider" Blue

i am glad that yours works great, Sleepy.. i am. Mine does too, and my host knows what the problem is.  there are others out there that are new and do not know this..

i dont run anything local.. yes i have xamp etc., but really, i like having it up and off my laptop.. only holds 60 gigs.

thing is, i was trying to help the community out.. well you cleared up a bunch, and i have made my choice. So, I hope that everyone with this permissions denied by apache.. will either figure it out, or post here like i did, and get educated.

SleePy

You are allowed to distribute instructions to modify it though ;)
http://www.simplemachines.org/about/opensource.php
I wouldn't mine looking at the changed files (would be nice if it was a diff or in mod format so I can see instantly what has changed). You can send the files to sleepy -at- simplemachines -dot- org

Smoky "Rider" Blue

you could have had them from off my site, Sleepy. and seeing how i hadnt messed with the copywrite i could have made my mod file for this problem, but i have taken it down. perhaps when i have more time, i will do this.. but my gallery is in the process of becomming a new site within the next few weeks.. if i have time again, will try this one more time. keep checking my site if you would like..

Advertisement: