News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Back to basics

Started by Bohemian, January 04, 2008, 04:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bohemian

I apologize if anyone perceives this to be a waste of their time, but I need some very basic assistance.  :)

I've been approached by some really good people who would like to start a forum of their own.  I've read quite a few threads on this board now, and it seems pretty clear that a certain level of web "cognizance" is assumed.  Unfortunately, I honestly don't know much at all about how to approach this issue.

I built, and make my living using, my own PC.  I've participated on several very good forums, including one that runs on SMF software.  Despite all of this, I've never created a web site or registered a domain.  Heck, I'm not even exactly sure what a domain is?  Hey, I might be severely "web challenged," but at least I'm right up front about it.  :D

So ... I'd like to ask the folks on this board about getting started.  As I mentioned, I have my own private hardware, but I don't wish to use it for something I see as a public resource.  Therefore, I assume that I'll have to find a way to utilize outside hardware.  Is that what web hosting is all about?  I guess a very basic list of actions might be a good start.

I honestly appreciate your time ...   :)   

otectom

I would be happy to help you with this send me a message on aim speedfreak42069

it will be easier to have a ongoing dialog than to do this in posts

Bohemian

Thanks for the reply Speed Freak,  :)

Unfortunately, I don't know what AIM is.  If it's something that I can run on my machine, I'd be happy to give it a try ... ???

otectom

I'm sorry, but I lost your name, I tried to save it but it didnt for some reason.  Please send me a message whenever you see this so I can contact you again

Panzer-

Some people don't need to understand coding or even the core of the software they are using to run a forum. Some people are great community figures, who post well detailed posts and who other people look up to. You can say "I would like to but i don't know the first thing about coding", im sure they'd still "accept" you.

Bohemian

Tom:  I'll send you a message so that we can chat again.

Karrde: First, thanks very much for the reply.  This is totally exploratory at this point.  Believe it or not, I started out in school as a computer science major, but in terms of the development of the web, that was long ago. ;)  In other words, knowing something about object oriented programming and the development of relational databases doesn't make one a web master.  As I already mentioned, I don't even have a website yet -- but perhaps it's time I did.  As for being accepted, these are good folks so there's really no question about anything like that.  :)

Have a good one ...

Advertisement: