News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Back to basics

Started by Bohemian, January 04, 2008, 04:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bohemian

I apologize if anyone perceives this to be a waste of their time, but I need some very basic assistance.  :)

I've been approached by some really good people who would like to start a forum of their own.  I've read quite a few threads on this board now, and it seems pretty clear that a certain level of web "cognizance" is assumed.  Unfortunately, I honestly don't know much at all about how to approach this issue.

I built, and make my living using, my own PC.  I've participated on several very good forums, including one that runs on SMF software.  Despite all of this, I've never created a web site or registered a domain.  Heck, I'm not even exactly sure what a domain is?  Hey, I might be severely "web challenged," but at least I'm right up front about it.  :D

So ... I'd like to ask the folks on this board about getting started.  As I mentioned, I have my own private hardware, but I don't wish to use it for something I see as a public resource.  Therefore, I assume that I'll have to find a way to utilize outside hardware.  Is that what web hosting is all about?  I guess a very basic list of actions might be a good start.

I honestly appreciate your time ...   :)   

otectom

I would be happy to help you with this send me a message on aim speedfreak42069

it will be easier to have a ongoing dialog than to do this in posts

Bohemian

Thanks for the reply Speed Freak,  :)

Unfortunately, I don't know what AIM is.  If it's something that I can run on my machine, I'd be happy to give it a try ... ???

otectom

I'm sorry, but I lost your name, I tried to save it but it didnt for some reason.  Please send me a message whenever you see this so I can contact you again

Panzer-

Some people don't need to understand coding or even the core of the software they are using to run a forum. Some people are great community figures, who post well detailed posts and who other people look up to. You can say "I would like to but i don't know the first thing about coding", im sure they'd still "accept" you.

Bohemian

Tom:  I'll send you a message so that we can chat again.

Karrde: First, thanks very much for the reply.  This is totally exploratory at this point.  Believe it or not, I started out in school as a computer science major, but in terms of the development of the web, that was long ago. ;)  In other words, knowing something about object oriented programming and the development of relational databases doesn't make one a web master.  As I already mentioned, I don't even have a website yet -- but perhaps it's time I did.  As for being accepted, these are good folks so there's really no question about anything like that.  :)

Have a good one ...

Advertisement: