News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] vBulletin 3.6

Started by JayBachatero, February 22, 2007, 12:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThorstenE

rakincool, sorry but this board is english only. If you need help in your language please check our language specific support section:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=12.0

ketchup

Hi there I have a vbulletin sql DB , i don't know what version, I am trying to convert it to smf.

I created the smf forum , uploaded convert.php , and uploaded the SQL to the same directory.

When I hit continue it says in red on top

Unable to find the settings for vBulletin 2. Please double check the path and try again.

What should i do? thanks

ThorstenE

I believe you used the wrong converter file.. try the vbulletin36_to_smf.sql (attachment -> first post from this topic)

ketchup

Quote from: TE on November 18, 2010, 01:31:25 PM
I believe you used the wrong converter file.. try the vbulletin36_to_smf.sql (attachment -> first post from this topic)

so far i have used all of them and they all give the same error
Unable to find the settings for vBulletin 3.6. Please double check the path and try again
etc

ThorstenE

maybe you specified the wrong path to your vBulletin forum? the path is an absolute path and should look very similar to the auto-detected SMF path..

ketchup

i specified the path to the vb sql file is that not correct?

/home/site1/public_html/site.com/forum/1_oldforum_com-data_2006-01-01.sql

thanks

ThorstenE

Quote from: ketchup on November 18, 2010, 02:02:15 PM
i specified the path to the vb sql file is that not correct?
nope, you have to import that sql file into a database at first.. you would also need the file /admin/config.php from your old vBulletin installation.

you can emulate that file if you don't have your old vBulletin files.. the should contain at least this:
<?php
$config
['Database']['dbname'] = 'name_of_your_database';
$config['Database']['tableprefix'] = 'vb_';
?>

name_of_your_database needs to be replaced with your database name.
vb_ is the table prefix  for your vBulletin tables.

Edward Ward

I'm new to this. So let me see if I understand the steps.

Host: Godaddy.
Current software: vBulleton 3.6.5

So, the steps...

1. Download and extract SMF2.x
2. Upload SMF to host in it's own directory. Not the same directory as vbulleton.
3. Download and extract conversion software.
4. Upload conversion software to smf directory.
5. Run convert.php from web browser.

Is that it? Is there more? Did I miss something?

Antes

You need to install SMF first :) (on same or different database) prefixes must be different.

And yes your all other steps are true :)

* and get a backup for safety

Edward Ward

so step...

2a. Install smf. Same dastabase, different prefix.

What does the different prefix do?

Antes

Well if you install with same prefix it can conflict (if both software have same table)

eg. software a has members table software b has members table too... but columns and types are different. It probably broke your database.

if you install with different prefix there will be no conflict

softa_members | softb_members :)

Step 1 : Get a backup xP

CrissyUK

Good morning,

I have been trying to use the converter to go from vBulletin 3.6.9 to the latest SMF and have been having issues. We followed the instructions step by step and created a db user that can operate both forums.

We are using a cloud hosting package and because of that when we install apps on our domain the databases get automatically assigned random IP addresses depending on how the servers feel like and there doesn't seem to be any way to override this. The situation is that the db for vB is at one IP address and the db for SMF is on a different one.

When we ran the converter it didn't seem to give us the opportunity to specify the db host, we tried to use the IP addresses as part of the path but it didn't seem to like it much.

Is there a way around this that doesn't involve re-installing SMF using the same database as vBulletin?

And also, are the convert.php and .sql files available for download the most current ones that will work with SMF 2.0.9?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Cristina

margarett

Hi Cristina.

Unfortunately no, you can't really specify a different server for each database. Your best bet is really to install SMF in the same database as vB. They use different prefixes so you should be safe. Have a backup just in case ;)

The converter for 2.0.x will work for 2.0.9, yes. The problem is usually with the original source (in your case, vB) since the database schema is often not exactly like the converter expects it to be...
Try it and let us know if you find any problems, we'll do our best to help ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

CrissyUK

Thank you Margaret.

We eventually managed to convert everything but we also had to look up all the errors that we came across and change the .sql file accordingly.

Attached is the file with all the corrections as per various threads on this forum in case there is somebody else out there that needs to do the same job. It's the one that correctly converted everything across to SMF bar a few errors here and there which, after 5 hours of trial error, we couldn't care less about!!   ;D  Total conversion time: 2.5hrs approx.  (670K posts and 60K topics)

Now on to the manual work to re-assign the correct permissions, etc.

Thank you for creating the converter, much appreciated.

All the best,
Cristina  8)

Advertisement: