[SMF Converter] Vanilla 1.1.x

Started by JayBachatero, February 07, 2008, 04:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBachatero

Software: Vanilla
Version: 1.1.x

This is a converter for Vanilla board.  This just convert Members, Boards, Topics, Posts and Basic Settings.  I add any add-ons support, so this will just convert a vanilla install of Vanilla ;) :P.

Notes:
- Set SMF to UTF-8 mode since Vanilla is set to UTF-8 by default.

Changelog
! Convert some basic settings.
! Initial upload.

convert.php
Use this convert.php with the .sql file attached in this topic.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

johnblade

Thank you so much, this is just what I've been needing!  With this I can make the switch back to SMF!

I had some difficulties at first because it wasn't finding the right Vanilla tables because the prefix for some reason wasn't in the Vanilla configuration file.

So I changed the SQL file to: ---~ from_prefix: "`$Configuration[DATABASE_NAME]`.LUM_"

and it worked a treat.

JayBachatero

Umm.  I guess that if you don't change the prefix the variable doesn't get created.  Need to make a change for that.
Follow me on Twitter

shirasnetwork

Guys... any one know how to fix this error.

Notice: Undefined index: DATABASE_TABLE_PREFIX in /home/****/public_html/forums/convert.php(398) : eval()'d code on line 1
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '.User' at line 2

SleePy

What version of Vanilla are you using?
This converter was made for the 1.1 version.

The error says that the database table prefix variable it was looking for couldn't be found.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

tmchukudzi

Quote from: JayBachatero on February 07, 2008, 04:33:54 PM
Software: Vanilla
Version: 1.1.x

This is a converter for Vanilla board.  This just convert Members, Boards, Topics, Posts and Basic Settings.  I add any add-ons support, so this will just convert a vanilla install of Vanilla ;) :P.

Thanks... finally a converter.... how does this work, exactly? How do I install it?

SleePy

Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

tmchukudzi

i'm getting an error, #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '---~ name: "vanilla"
---~ version: "SMF 1.1"
---~ settings: "/conf/database.' at line 1

SleePy

Try to redownload the file with a different browser.
The file is corrupted.

tmchukudzi

i was using firefox before, now i've tried IE and it's the same error...

SleePy

Are you trying to run it in phpmyadmin?

The script does not get run in phpmyadmin. You use the attached convert.php with it.
Both of these get uploaded to the SMF folder and ran through the browser. The .sql has instructions for the convert.php file on how to complete the conversion.

tmchukudzi

Ok, thanks, so could you tell me what to do, exactly, step by step, if you don't mind? Sorry to bother you...this is a little frustrating and my boss wanted it three hours ago....when I click on the convert.php link, i get to a page that does not have vanilla in the list. The .sql says 'the convert.php does everything for you.' if someone could explain it to me like i was a 2 year old and had no clue what any of this stuff is, that would be nice. i'm new to this forum so i don't exactly know how everything works and where everything is.thanks in advance.

SleePy

The convert.php is the page you want.
It should say path to vanilla which is your key that it has the right .sql file.

You just tell it the path to vanilla, then SMF (shouldn't need changed if you uploaded convert.php to the same directory as your SMF files) and then your SMF mysql password (for security reasons).

tmchukudzi

ok, now i have a SELECT command denied error. i've tried to add the smf database to the vanilla database as recommended on the common errors page but it doesn't seem to be working, am i doing it wrong? how do i add one database to another? i have cpanel.

tmchukudzi

..any chance i could just pay someone to do this for me? i'm sure it would take seconds but it's frustrating me and i'm working for someone..

JayBachatero

If you can't add the SMF database user to the vanilla database then I suggest that you install SMF in the same database as vanilla with the same credentials.
Follow me on Twitter

tmchukudzi

sigh. i don't know what you're talking about, but i'll do what i can and if it doesn't work out then it doesn't. thanks.

vivek_cbe

Quote from: johnblade on February 14, 2008, 08:10:33 PM
Thank you so much, this is just what I've been needing!  With this I can make the switch back to SMF!

I had some difficulties at first because it wasn't finding the right Vanilla tables because the prefix for some reason wasn't in the Vanilla configuration file.

So I changed the SQL file to: ---~ from_prefix: "`$Configuration[DATABASE_NAME]`.LUM_"

and it worked a treat.

thanks to you buddy, this worked like a charm!

SleePy

Quote from: tmchukudzi on June 07, 2008, 02:44:55 AM
sigh. i don't know what you're talking about, but i'll do what i can and if it doesn't work out then it doesn't. thanks.

Don't be afraid to ask your host for help on how to have the same mysql user be able to access two databases. Since these things may differ for each host, it is best to ask them so you are getting the specifics on how to accomplish this :)

The converter uses a single mysql connection to the same mysql database. So it uses the same login conditionals that SMF uses. This is why the MySQL user for SMF has to have access to the Vanilla database.

Advertisement: