News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Content decoding has failed

Started by Talia, February 24, 2008, 09:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talia

Rumbaar

Are you or others running any type of proxy/firewall programs.  I see Alundra is running Norton but the changes helped her, but maybe something else is consistent across yourself and your members who are experiencing issues.

Though browser inconsistencies forces upon us by Microsoft do not help.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Talia

Thanks for taking the time and answering me.
I don't run any firewall except for Windows Vista Firewall. This applies for me and for a couple of complaining members as well. I run ESET NOD 32 Antivirus. Any suggestions?

A lot of appreciation for your efforts

Rumbaar

Can you try to disable the firewall first and try.  Then disable the ESET NOD 32 Antivirus application and try.

Or when first clicking to download hold ctrl key and try to download.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Talia

Thanks Rumbaar!
But let me first apologize for answering a bit late, I have a very tight schedule. I followed your suggestion. Neither worked!!! First I disabled Windows firewall, then downloaded (of course after restarting) then I disabled the ESET NOD 32 Antivirus application and restarted then tried. However, none worked. Then I used the Ctrl Key thing and didn't work. But something weird happened; the frist two trials gave me " Content Decoding Has Failed", the third trial (the Ctrl key) the download box disappeared without giving me that error. Then tried again, and out of the blue, the download was finished in less than a seond, but guess what? only 5 seconds were downloaded/ played, not the whole file. The third file I tried (keeping in my that Windows Firewall and Antivirus are disabled, and I hold the Ctrl key) the file is downloaded again in a blink of an eye, but this time, the file didn't play. I guess less than a second was downloaded.

Can you find an explanation for this please? I am so puzzled  ???

Rumbaar

Sorry I can't even begin to explain the strange behavour you can get from Microsoft browsers :)  That is why I've used FireFox for many years now :)

I can only offer the cold statement of, update to FireFox and try to get your users to do the same.  Only when M$ is loosing greater market share will they probably pull their finger out and built a more consistant product.

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: