News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF-Mambo bridge

Started by smoothound, March 04, 2008, 03:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoothound

Hi

I have got Mambo 4.6 and SMF 1.1.4 and I have downloaded a bridge and installed it but nothing seems to have changed.
On the SMF bridge configuration I have the following error.

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home2/wightviv/public_html/main/administrator/components/com_smf/admin.smf.php on line 152

Being new to this I have no idea what the problem is.
Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

Orstio

Does your Mambo database user have access to your SMF database?  Does your SMF database user have access to your Mambo database?

smoothound

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
I have only built site in frontpage before and wanted to expand. I have liked the idea of a forum and this has given me the opportunity. The site is only a play thing at the moment until I find feet and have some idea what I'm doing. So their was only myself registered on both using the same username and password.

I've just added a new user to both SMF and Mambo (different user names and password in each) and nither program saw the new user in the others database. So the answer is no.

Kindred

If you are using two different databases, then you have to use your CPanel mySQL setup to grant each database user rights to the other database.

This has NO relation to users in either mambo or SMF on the WEBSITE
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

smoothound

I did setup the database user rights or I thought I did but just tried again  and paid a bit more attention when the following page came up. Their was a table with all these options and I just hit the "make changes" button at the bottom of the page without clicking a check box next to one of these options.

ALL PRIVILEGES
SELECT  CREATE
INSERT  ALTER
UPDATE  DROP
DELETE  LOCK TABLES
INDEX  REFERENCES
CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES   

This time I checked the box against "ALL PRIVILEGES" before clicking on the "make changes" button then repeated the process as described in the readme file.

The mySQL now shows up on the page as being shared and have now been able to transfer databases. The error message has also gone and the login now works with both Mambo and SMF regardless of which one you registered with.

Many Thanks for your help

siler

Downloaded the latest bridge from the site...and the archive file constantly comes back as corrupted...
I've tried through package manager...that did not work...
I've tried opening it with winzip...that did not work
I've tried uploading it and then extracting the contact...and that did not work...

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Orstio

Go to your Mambo admin panel, to the Universal Installer.  Install it there.

KPDub

I am having the same problem and currently askign the support staff from my hosters how to grant privaleges.

My question is this though;

By keeping the two installations (mambo and SMF) on seperate databases, if the bridge messes up or there are performance issues, users can still access the forum by its original (current) URL, and I can remove the bridge so they are back to two seperate entities???

Many thanks in advance  :)

Orstio

QuoteI am having the same problem and currently askign the support staff from my hosters how to grant privaleges.

AFAIK, only cPanel and DirectAdmin currently have that option.  If you don't have one of those two control panels, it may not be possible.

QuoteBy keeping the two installations (mambo and SMF) on seperate databases, if the bridge messes up or there are performance issues, users can still access the forum by its original (current) URL, and I can remove the bridge so they are back to two seperate entities???

The bridge makes no changes to Mambo and makes no changes to SMF.  The bridge is a system of components, modules, and mambots that make the integration work without modifying either.  So, yes, you can uninstall the bridge without harming SMF and without harming Mambo.

KPDub

Cool nice one.

I do have access to myphpadmin, can't see a Grant option though, so anyhelp here would be good, the company that hosts my site can sometimes not be very helpful - depends who is on and how you ask the question  :-X

Orstio

You can't grant permissions from PhpMyAdmin.

What control panel did your host provide?

KPDub

My providers are Heart Internet.

I initially go through a "eXtend Control Panel"

I then can select mysql databases and manage them from there, which brings up the standard myphpadmin window.

They have told me I need to use a SQL statement and have linked me to this - clickey

Haven;t tried it yet, and I assume I have to do that command in both databases

Orstio

If the GRANT ALL statement will work from PhpMyAdmin, then you are set.  I've tried that one myself, and have never managed to get it to work.

KPDub

Must admit, I ain't got a clue what I am doing - lol

Have asked Heart Internet for help, essentiall fill in the blanks on that Grant statement, they won't help saying its advance SQL and they don't support.

Should I start a new thread for help???

Orstio

The statements are pretty straightforward, if they work.

GRANT ALL ON mydb.* TO 'someuser'@'somehost';

Replace "mydb" with your SMF database name.

Replace "someuser" with your Mambo database username.

Replace "somehost" with the lost name of the SQL database, probably "localhost".

KPDub

Thanks for that, I typed in

GRANT ALL ON web49 - smf . * TO 'web49-a-mambo-6'@'localhost';

and got this error message

"1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '- smf . * TO 'web49-a-mambo-6'@'localhost'' at line 1"

Ran it as a SQL query, is that right?

Orstio

"web49 - smf" is definitely not your SMF database name.  There shouldn't be any spaces in it, for sure.

If you are uncertain what your SMF database name is, go to your SMF admin panel, and check it in Server Settings.

KPDub

web49-smf is my database name, have checked it.

Spaces only came out on here as I pasted, didn't have spaces in the command

just to confirm, the command I entered is;

GRANT ALL ON web49-smf.* TO 'web49-a-mambo-6'@'localhost';

Did this at localhost level and when accessing the web49-smf database

Orstio

Are you sure that's supposed to be a dash, or is it supposed to be an underscore, perhaps?

KPDub

definately a dash, that is how it is displayed in my eXtend control panel and is how they set up all their databases web49-yourdatabase

Advertisement: