Forcing log out on browser close

Started by Jumbobeef, March 15, 2008, 07:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumbobeef

Hello all,

Is there anyway I can force all users to log out when they leave the forum/close their browser?  I want to force users to log in every time they visit.

Many thanks.

Jumbobeef

Nigel

Hi Jumbobeef,

Sorry I don't know exactly how to do it but I'd guess it would involve deleting the user's cookie when they left your site.

However, in my opinion it's best to allow visitors the freedom to choose how they log in/out. Unless you have a good reason for doing so, I'd be inclined to leave things as they are.

Nigel

Jumbobeef

Thanks for the reply.

The forum in question has some vulnerable women as users and we have had cases of partners using the same PC and so being able to read what their parter has written (often about them).  I know everyone *should* log out, but some forget.

Nigel

I guess you have a point. However, your members need to be fully aware of the open nature of the internet when they post. Their partners could always register themselves if they wanted to snoop.

Hope you find an answer.

Nigel

Jumbobeef

Thanks again for the reply.

Quote from: Nigel on March 17, 2008, 08:47:09 AM
Their partners could always register themselves if they wanted to snoop.

No, they couldn't as we have various processes in place to stop this from happening.

greyknight17

One way they can help prevent this from happening is to not enable the option to stay logged in forever. I haven't tested this out, but that should log them out after a certain amount of time has passed (default 60 minutes). Or have them set their browsers to clear all the cookie and temp files (Firefox has an automatic option to do this every time you close the browser).

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: greyknight17 on March 18, 2008, 12:14:48 PM
One way they can help prevent this from happening is to not enable the option to stay logged in forever. I haven't tested this out, but that should log them out after a certain amount of time has passed (default 60 minutes). Or have them set their browsers to clear all the cookie and temp files (Firefox has an automatic option to do this every time you close the browser).

But a partner might change that ;)
If they were good snoops they would check history too.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Jade Elizabeth

Or install PC tatletale :O
* Alundra doesn't wanna go back there ever again
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Jumbobeef

Thanks for the replies.

One way they can help prevent this from happening is to not enable the option to stay logged in forever. I haven't tested this out, but that should log them out after a certain amount of time has passed (default 60 minutes).

The problem with that is it might log them out while they are posting (and so losing a long post).

Or have them set their browsers to clear all the cookie and temp files (Firefox has an automatic option to do this every time you close the browser).

The point of forcing log out is because these users often forget to simply log out (so I've got no chance of getting them to clear cookies etc).

Thanks for the ideas though.

Jade Elizabeth

I think it can be done, I'll look around...I've seen stuff like this before.

Jade Elizabeth

Well I found heaps of dupal stuff
and I found this
http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=37279
Which is supposed to alert the user that the window is closing...I suppose you could ad to that "did you log out?"

Personally I'd just force the 60 minute cookie length, everything else I've found is not exactly cross browser compatible.

Advertisement: