News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Same IP Address but no connection?

Started by jackregan, March 22, 2008, 08:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackregan

Here is a puzzling question:

My IP traces on my forum reveal that two certain users have the same IP. Or, rather they have used the same IP on different occasions.

Now, I know that this can mean that a user has two accounts, but in this case I know them both and they are at other ends of the country.

I ran the IP through domaintools, and it turns out that both users are members of an ISP which is very small and has a very very very narrow range of IP addresses. Only 255 IP addresses.

So is it possible that 2 users with no connection to one another, were simply randomly assigned the same IP by their ISP at different times?
Bible Study, Catholic News, Youth Group Stuff (my humble attempt at an SMF site... I'm grateful to the amazing people who have made SMF what it is!!

Panzer-

It is possible. I think ISPs tend to hand out the same IP to people in the same area. For example i have a dynamic IP. Sometimes i get warned when i go onto wikipedia (I haven't touched it, other people using that IP did).

It is strange though.. especially if they are as far apart as you say they are.

kizer

I see it all the time. I have several members in the Portland Oregon area that come back with the same IP. I've personally met them all and geograhically they are several miles apart, however they all 3 just happen to use the same ISP.
Own a Jeep? Links4Jeeps.com

Advertisement: