Invision to SMF: any tutorial available?

Started by kamran, January 04, 2005, 10:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamran

I tried finding a tutorial for Invision Power Board 1.3.1 to SMF conversion yet I came out finding nothing at all. I'm kind of a new user and I'm not familiar with all this forum converting procedures. This is going to be my first time.
Can anyone give me any link to some useful source inside the site or outside that will help me find out how I carry on with this conversion because I'm totally new and have no idea how to do it. A small insight on the whole process will help great deal. Thanks!

Grudge

If you actually upload the converter to your SMF directory and try to access it you'll find that the instructions are actually quite good that come with it. Simply download the converter from here, and stick it in your SMF directory and access it from a browser (i.e www.yoursite.com/smf/invision_2_smf.php). Read the instructions, where it will basically ask you to put in the path to where invision is installed (Normally very easy). The main thing is to ensure that the SMF user can SEE the invision database. I'll make the assumption that you are using cPanel. In cPanel you will probably have (Under databases) several users created, probably different ones for Invision and SMF. (We'll call them inv and smf). On the database page of cpanel is a little area with two select boxes called "Add User to DB". On these two select boxes select the database user you created for SMF, and then select the name of the invision database, and click "add".

This will ensure that the database user for SMF can "see" the invision database and hence pull the data from it. I know this doesn't sound simple but it is fairly :) Also, you don't need to bother with all this user stuff if you installed SMF in the same database as invision.
I'm only a half geek really...

kamran

I downloaded the forum software and everything went just fine. I even got the confirmation message after the forum had been successfully installed. But when I try going to the forums, the whole page is blank with 'Array_above' written at the top.  ::)

hxxp:www.bollyfm.net/forum [nonactive]
Could someone tell me what's wrong?

setec

kobin

i have converted my database successfully, but cant continue converting my attachments!
the error messages like below :
QuoteWarning: filesize(): Stat failed for /post-7-1071931762.jpg (errno=2 - No such file or directory) in d:\ipb\smf\invision2_to_smf.php on line 2333

please give me some ideas to deal with it, thx~~

[Unknown]

Quote from: kobin on January 06, 2005, 10:49:37 PM
i have converted my database successfully, but cant continue converting my attachments!
the error messages like below :
QuoteWarning: filesize(): Stat failed for /post-7-1071931762.jpg (errno=2 - No such file or directory) in d:\ipb\smf\invision2_to_smf.php on line 2333

please give me some ideas to deal with it, thx~~

Sounds like the attachment directory is wrong... hmm...

-[Unknown]

[Unknown]

Where are your uploads/attachments stored for Invision?

-[Unknown]

kobin

ipb in /forum/uploads/ and smf in /smf/attachments/
i run the update file in /smf/

[Unknown]

! If Invision's upload directory cannot be found for some reason, use .../uploads. (invision_to_smf.php, invision2_to_smf.php)

Are you sure your upload dir is set properly in Invision?

Stat failed for /post-7-1071931762.jpg

Means quite clearly that it thinks the upload dir is "" (blank.)  I've fixed that in the attached.

-[Unknown]

kobin

thx, it has worked correctly!! :D
i will convert the forum again to find out if there is any error

WxChat.com

Will SMF overwrite the IPB database? or does it just get the info that it needs and leaves the DB alone??

Also can I have any post on the SMF board before I convert the IPB to it? will that mess it up any?

Thank you
Aaron

Ben_S

The convertor will not touch your IPB database. I think your SMF needs to be empty.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

WxChat.com

hmm ok thanks ;) will fresh install before I convert.

Aaron

jjgarza70

QuoteSorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of Invision Power Board. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it.

I get this error when atempting to covert..

Invison 1.3 to smf

Any suggestions?

Joe

[Unknown]

Did you have a chance to look at this readme?

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/readme_convert.html

The error you're getting indicates just what it says: the user you installed SMF with cannot access the Invision data.  You might try installing them in the same database.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: