How do I get my forum "out there"

Started by drovers-sunrise, April 28, 2008, 05:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drovers-sunrise

Hey guys and girls.

I've just started a creative writing community (www.inkstains.wordsoffiction.net/forums). So far I've promoted it in a few live journal communities, sent the link on to friends who have passed it on to friends of friends. I'm wondering how else I can get my forums known. How do I get it into a search engine? and what else do I need to do to become well known apart from passing links onto existing sites of the same nature?

Thanks for your help.

DS

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

What you have already done, and what you are doing right now with that post, is just the thing to get you indexed faster.

All links leading to your site make it easier for users and search engines alike to find you.

To become well known, you should have something that really separates you from the rest of the similar sites on the web, and know that a good reputation only comes with time and satisfied users. :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

perplexed

Quote from: LexArma on April 28, 2008, 06:35:29 AM

To become well known, you should have something that really separates you from the rest of the similar sites on the web, and know that a good reputation only comes with time and satisfied users. :)

that's so true.  There are so many sites out there that are already established, you really do need something unique or a hook to attract new members :)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Oh, and from experience I can say that a very important thing is not to expect too much, too soon... It takes time to get into search engines, it takes time to build a faithful userbase, it takes time to get some "real" content to your forum... But the wait can be worth it.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

drovers-sunrise

Ok, do I need to do anything to get myself into the search engines though? Meta tags I've heard of, but haven't done anything about. How do I get the most effective result from those?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Like with any webpage, building a sitemap, and manually submitting your pages to search engines _might_ help. For example, have you looked at the webmaster tools Google offers?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: