News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

What is your most popular Topic on your Forum?

Started by WisePagan, April 28, 2008, 01:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WisePagan

Give us a little description of what your Forum is all about and let us know what Topic(s) have really taken off for you!

You can also let us know which ones are "lazy" and don't work for your people...

It may help someone to come up with ideas for their own forum or make them get curious about yours...   ;D

(if this topic has already been asked a million times, sorry for the repost, but I couldn't find it...)
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do."
-Benjamin Franklin

Gary

For me the popular three are:

What are you listening to
Everyone listens to music, so we post what we are listening to.

The Art of Grabpiccing
Grabpics are traced drawings from screen shots from cartoons to make them higher quality used on many fan sites. A grabpic generally takes about 20 minutes to draw.

The Thread About Nothing
This is just general banter that doesn't really warrant having a topic of it's own.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

karlbenson

On my forum besides the general posting games.

What song are you listening to?
Similar to Gaz's. These are popular on any forum.

MileStone Celebration Thread
Those threads to celebrate forum or user achievements on the board. I've always found it keeps you from having a million threads where users celebrate 666, 1337, post counts.

Caption Competition
We've restarted this a few times. Basically post a picture with potential, and other users post funny captions as to whatcould be being said or done.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Top 2 that are open to all members would be

General Chat - a thread to discuss everyday things that don't need a topic of their own..

What are you listening to? - Very much the same us the ones mentioned before.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

SleePy

I guess on one of my forums it is the nfl thread we have had going for a while
http://lordsofclantribe.com/index.php/topic,5022.0.html

on my development forum
My "Hacking By the Number" topic has the most views of almost 12k http://sleepycode.com/Forum/index.php/topic,152.0.html
And a random testing topic has the most replies with only 6 replies :P (though its not that cool enough to link).
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

fisho

my site aims at encouraging neigbourhood collaborations in Nigeria hence the forum seeks to creat a  platform for people to meet and make friends

the most read topic is; Must Bride Go Half-naked On Wedding Day?

hxxp:mynybhood.com/forum/index.php?topic=36.msg103;topicseen#msg103 [nonactive]

hxxp:www.mynybhood.com [nonactive].......... connecting and building Nigeria

Ben_S

The bets thread @ 44,933 posts, although it's now in 3 parts.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Kethra

My forum is for players of a text-based RPG game called DragonRealms.

We have a few forum "games" that are riots, and of course have a lot of posts due to their spammy nature.

However, we have... let's see... One of our members does daily "motivational" speeches via images she finds around the web..

One of our biggest threads now is one listing hxxp:www.worldofelanthia.com/forums/index.php?topic=270.0 [nonactive] (ie what we think are silly and ridiculous).  The game we all play is based in a medieval world.. so you won't believe some of the horribly "out of character" names that pop up.
hxxp:kidsneedtoread.org [nonactive]  hxxp:www.dzinerstudio.com [nonactive]

WisePagan

Thanks everybody...

My relatively new site features a Pagan/Alternative Religion Forum (mostly geared toward USA) and the three most popular discussions so far (aside from all the "getting to know you" posts) are:

I'm New  To This Religion - Can Anyone Give Me Info?
http://wisepagan.com/discussionforum/index.php?topic=72.0 [nofollow]

Pagans & Politics - The 2008 Election
http://wisepagan.com/discussionforum/index.php?topic=18.0 [nofollow]

The Metaphysical Properties of Garlic
http://wisepagan.com/discussionforum/index.php?topic=9.0 [nofollow]

It's kind of suprising which topics people feel compelled to post in, and which ones they don't...

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do."
-Benjamin Franklin

kizer

I setup a random photo thread. I have pictures of guys with bannas stuck to their face all the way to guys who have grocery carts in a circle. ;)
Own a Jeep? Links4Jeeps.com

Narkissos

My site helps people reach peak physical performance...

I guess the 'most popular' threads fall under two categories: most page views, and most replies.

One of my topics tops both of these categories.

That topic is:

What are you eating right now?

^^In it, members just talk about what they're eating at the moment... maybe with information on how that meal fits in with their current physique goals etc.

It's a support thread. :)

-CNS

The NarkSide: The Caribbean's Premier Fitness Community

Advertisement: