Censor Bad Words List

Started by ctyler86, May 23, 2008, 05:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctyler86

I'm wondering where the censored words list is located. And also if there is an import function to insert a pre-existing list for use?

Thanks in advance!

Clint

Bulakbol

Admin > Posts and Topics > Censored Words tab. Click the "Click here to add another word." then enter the word to be censored on the left box and enter the replacement word on the right box.  Click "save".

There's no import function as I know of. You have to type them all.
Please do not PM me for support · My Mods and Theme · SMF Coding Guidelines · Modifications Approval Guidelines

YogiBear

Hi ctyler86,

To expand what JohnyB has said there is also a trick using Wildcards which you may find useful rather than typing several versions of the same word.

Imagine a spammer were to use the word Shock. Yet instead the word shocked or shocking is used. By typing shock* and in the censor replacement field put spamspam this will cover all permutations.

However, many run words together eg. supershockdownload. In this case enter  *shock*  . Hope this helps.  :)
SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

ctyler86

JohnyB and YogiBear,

Thank you guys for your help, thanks for the info on the wild card stuff. Does anyone know if the data is stored in a SQL table or a flat text file, and where or which is it located?

Thanks

Clint

spearfish

It's in the database table labled {db_prefix}settings.... in most cases this means smf_settings.

Then, more specifically, I believe it deals with:
censorWordBad &
censorWordProper

or something to that effect.

Bulakbol

Yes, it's censor_vulgar and censor_proper actually. :)
Please do not PM me for support · My Mods and Theme · SMF Coding Guidelines · Modifications Approval Guidelines

spearfish

Righhhhht..... I did some work with that, I was creating an item for the SMF Shop (if you've heard of it) that allowed users to add to the censor list so I had to scavage for those entries.  (btw, I never did release it - I figured the potential for abuse was too high)

CheetahJustice

What about the words being blocked to the admin and moderators?  Is there a setting to change it so the mod and admin accounts will see bad words?

kat

If the admin's allowed it, you can turn off word censoring, in your profile.

It's in the "Look and Layout" section.

By the way... Posting in a topic that's been marked as solved will mean that people might ignore it. In future, you might want to think about starting a new topic. ;)

Welcome to the forum, though! :)

Advertisement: