News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Started by D12Eminem989, June 24, 2011, 09:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D12Eminem989

Buneduggy

I may be wrong but can't you just upload the large upgrage package. I believe that saves all your database information (posts, pms, members) but will remove the mods installed and theme changes?

MC73

uninstall all packages, themes and mods and then run the large upgrade .... you wont loose no members, forum/posts etc ...........

But like always when doing any changes to a site ... b4 doing you do any changes, i would suggest doing a backup of your forum .... just in case any unforeseen cases of a  power spike, ect ....
Over 1100 Online Flash Games 

MC73

Even though you uninstall mods/packages .... it may take them out of the index sections, but some do not totally delete everything in the forum ... ( that is why if you install again or upgrade the package to a newer version that the mod still saves old info ). You will have to manually FTP into your server/files and manually delete the files that are left over from the uninstalling the mods. For example, if you uninstall dream portal, then there will still be files named "DP" in the public folder that you will need to manually delete.
Over 1100 Online Flash Games 

busterone

No, but if you know what tables are not used anymore, you can just delete them through phpmyadmin. If you are not planning on ever installing those mods again, deleting the tables will not hurt your forum. In all honesty though, you will not see very much of a size difference in your database after dropping the mod tables. Most of the database size is in your forum posts- smf_messages table.

busterone

That is a lot of work for so little benefit. Why not just go to phpmyadmin and drop the unused tables? Converting to phpbb3 and back is really unnecessary, and you are opening yourself up to many potential errors during double conversions, possible data loss, etc. 

busterone

What mods were you using that are now uninstalled?  If you post a list of them, then we can find them.

Advertisement: