Policy Change: User Signatures & Other Profile Details

Started by 青山 素子, July 17, 2008, 02:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldiesmann

Quote from: pimwiz on August 25, 2008, 05:59:58 AM
Okay, just came back since a long time and wanted to change my email adress... so this is 2/10!
Good thought tho :-)

If you give us your new email address, we can change it for you now rather than making you wait until you have 10 posts.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

cinestar

Hey guys, I would like to apply this same policy change in my forum, but I cant seem to be able to fin dthe setting on the forum. Do I need a plugin or something? I have serached everywhere and cant seem to be able to find any info on how to do this.

青山 素子

You need to enable permissions for postcount groups. If you need further assistance, make a topic in the support board.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Thantos

SpoogeBeast

So that explains it! I was going in circles trying to figure out why I couldn't edit my profile. Blame the spammers... :(
Mick
SpoogeBeast [nofollow]

yollyp

I also hate spammers. How could these charlatans do such a thing and ruin this hi-tech world.  It's easy to conduct diplomacy, but sometimes we run out of it.

Kenny01

I fully support the rule, but some members only register to be able to read all the boards, because there's no need posting the same question if there question is already answered.

Looking

Now that explains why I cannot edit my signature. I was looking for it all over the place.

Matthew-me

"SPAM" was a terrible thing when it was just a form of canned Pork meat, popular amongst the less well off in the 1970's.

Anything that can be done to reduce the amount of either type in circulation gets my vote :)

Matthew
How will you make the world a better place today?

sotoremodelers

ten post seem like a good rule, and i agree with just keeping the profiles limited to members only

it is not difficult to join at all so if someone really wants to read the profiles join.

hygron

Great idea!  It doesn't hurt at all to have members establish themselves before getting total access.

come join me at: http://www.Hygronomics.com/forum1
My newest site: http://myvirtualworld.org Virtual Domain Hosting

owcommandpost

Quote from: Motoko-chan on July 17, 2008, 02:36:16 PM

Starting now (17 July 2008), users will not be able to add profile information including a signature until they have made more than 10 posts. In addition, guests to the site will not be able to view any user profile. This second restriction may be lifted in the future.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and blame the spammers who ruin things for everybody.
I know this is an old post but I just joined your site today,
and was looking for how to add profile information and this is all I've found
I alaso wanted to say that I TOTALLY agree with the policy.
In fact before converting to SMF I had the same type of policy for much of the same reasons.
I will be looking to bring back our policy like this now that I know it can be done on SMF.
Spammers suck and this is a GREAT tool in determent of those who join just to promote their crap which usually has nothing to do with what your content is.
Just my

OW~CommandPost [nofollow]

bosmolskate

I like the anti spammer protection.  I hate when forums are piled up with spammers and their useless info.

cflforum

Quote from: Gazmanafc on August 09, 2008, 09:10:19 PM
I can read it. Though, I generally have a dislike for anything other than black on a forum.

Once you go black, you never go green!
I hate signatures myself..
sometimes they take up the whole page and are annoying to see especially when the user has a 1 line, 4 word post, and a 1/2 page sig with huge graphics.

If I could turn it off I prob would.

Gary

Well, you can. Take a peek in the Look and Layout section of your profile. ;)
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

cflforum

Quote from: Gazmanafc on April 06, 2009, 08:22:37 PM
Well, you can. Take a peek in the Look and Layout section of your profile. ;)

thanks! found it - forum looks a lot cleaner, loads MUCH faster and is quicker to read... I must admit I miss some signatures (especially your simpsoms,lol) It would have been nice to limit sigs to those on your friends/buddy list... oh well. small price to pay

Gary

Quote from: cflforum on April 07, 2009, 10:03:54 AM
It would have been nice to limit sigs to those on your friends/buddy list... oh well. small price to pay

Heh. Why not post a topic about that in the Feature Requests board, I think it would be nice for something like that in the core feature set.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Frestorm

shawblink

About these spams happening on every forums in the internet. Before I don't understand why they "spam" and put useless links. I'm a moderator of multiple forums myself and usually delete these posts in an instant when I see them.

But now I understand why they're doing it. These links with anchor texts are called backlinks they do it to increase the Pagerankings of a certain website. Websites with higher page rankings are often the target of link builders.

Most individuals are getting paid to build link for these website. Some are getting paid per link or paid per hour. So if a post is off topic they just post the links with no other comments I delete them instantly. But if they have a good comment which is related to the topic I let it go(probably give the link a few days like 3-5 days enough time for them to get paid for it).

Some forums or websites allowed placing of website links in the members profile where each member can add multiple anchor text - links in their profile.
Like this website for example: **Removed***

Making this kind of feature allows a member to put those backlinks without having to put them in discussion topics which will look more like a spam. Thus making the discussion clean of spam. And it also helps increase traffic for their website.

This website http://www.simplemachines.org has a page rank of 8/10 (Congratulations!) that's why link builders come here to post their links in the signatures.

To the moderators, please allow my links to be up for a few days and you can delete them afterwards. Thank you!

JBlaze

Ha! That is definately a keeper lmao (just remove the links)
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Advertisement: