News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Structure Changes of Links From vBulletin to SMF?

Started by J_DE2, August 02, 2008, 12:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_DE2

Hi,

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I have a forum running on Vbulletin 3.6.8 which I want to convert to SMF mainly because of SMF functioning in a mobile device better. But I'm wondering what differences the structure of my forum would experience, my questions are below:

1. My vBulletin forum has several pages indexed on google, when converting to SMF would the position of these pages be changed? Will say, would the links to the threads be the same in SMF as in Vbulletin as to not confuse the indexing Google has made?

2. Would the database with all my users be converted so that the registered users on the forum could log in directly to SMF with the same login information as in Vbulletin without them having to make any changes?

3. Is there any other differences between SMF and vBulletin which could affect the content of my forum and which I should be aware of when doing a switch from vBulletin to SMF?

Thanks for reading my questions and for taking your time and answering them.
Best regards,
J_DE2

SleePy

SMF does handle links differently. But this is nothing that a simple script can't fix to force a 301 redirect and have those indexed pages in google get updated.

Users will be converted. SMF's login function makes use of an array of password methods other than its own (if its doesn't match). If it finds one of these methods are right, then it updates the password in the database to its method and logs in.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Advertisement: