News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

User Features/Fixes

Started by BlindWolf8, November 02, 2003, 02:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlindWolf8

Hello.  I am a user of YaBB 1.3.1 (yes, CGI).  I didn't want to upgrade to a PHP board because of a certain mod that one of my admins wanted, and I wanted to see if this mod is doable through SMF.  I have to say that SMF is very impressive.  A few things I noticed though:

1. User Secret Question/Answer should be on the registeration page, and Secret Answer should be typed in twice, like a password (on registration page and profile page).
2. User must enter security code for signing up.
3. The activation link should be deactivated in 24 hours after receiving the email.
4. No confirmation was given if my profile settings were saved successfully.
5. Birthday could be a dropdown box, to aviod letter input/wacky characters.
6. For Date/Time selection, the combo box should be labeled as presets, while the text box should be labeled as custom.  Admin should be able to add more time formats via Admin Center.
7. For the website URL, people may not read directions, so either http:// should be put before or in the text box.
8. ME button could be added to posts.
9. Passwords could be encrypted via PHP

I know most of these could be added as mods, but just consider them.  I'm not bashing the board in any way.  Believe me, it's the most thought-out plan I've ever seen.

And, if you're wondering, the reason why we didn't switch to PHP was because of hxxp:boardmod.yabbforum.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=newssp;action=display;num=1015215450;start=0 [nonactive] mod.

[Unknown]

Quote from: BlindWolf on November 02, 2003, 02:17:03 PM
Hello.  I am a user of YaBB 1.3.1 (yes, CGI).  I didn't want to upgrade to a PHP board because of a certain mod that one of my admins wanted, and I wanted to see if this mod is doable through SMF.  I have to say that SMF is very impressive.  A few things I noticed though:

1. User Secret Question/Answer should be on the registeration page, and Secret Answer should be typed in twice, like a password (on registration page and profile page).
2. User must enter security code for signing up.
3. The activation link should be deactivated in 24 hours after receiving the email.
4. No confirmation was given if my profile settings were saved successfully.
5. Birthday could be a dropdown box, to aviod letter input/wacky characters.
6. For Date/Time selection, the combo box should be labeled as presets, while the text box should be labeled as custom.  Admin should be able to add more time formats via Admin Center.
7. For the website URL, people may not read directions, so either http:// should be put before or in the text box.
8. ME button could be added to posts.
9. Passwords could be encrypted via PHP

I know most of these could be added as mods, but just consider them.  I'm not bashing the board in any way.  Believe me, it's the most thought-out plan I've ever seen.

And, if you're wondering, the reason why we didn't switch to PHP was because of this mod.

1. Easy.
2. Why, exactly?  To prevent bots, you mean?
3. What if you can't get to it before 25 hours?  There will be a pruning for it. (not completed yet.)
4. Does Notepad popup a box saying "File saved successfully" when you hit save?  No, because it always saves properly... why should this act otherwise?
5. Easily done...
6. That's being worked on right now, actually - it's in the middle, and changing as we speak.
7. It adds the http:// on anyway, so why does it matter?  What relative URL are they going to give?  People aren't that stupid.
8. ME?  Millenium Edition?  Huh?
9. Passwords are encrypted. (and better than just PHP would... although it is done *with* PHP.)

And, the mod - that is so easily done it's not funny.

-[Unknown]

Ben_S

* Ben_S thinks typing forward slash me is much easier than having a me bbc code button
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Advertisement: