News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Add IP2Location to Track IP

Started by Deprecated, August 06, 2008, 11:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riou

It works if you manually update it, in sources find Profile-View.php

you need to find:
$context['single_ip'] = strpos($context['ip'], '*') === false;
if ($context['single_ip'])
{
$context['whois_servers'] = array(

under this you will put it in

'ip2location' => array(
'name' => &$txt['whois_ip2location'],
'url' => 'http://www.ip2location.com/' . $context['ip'],
'range' => array(),
),

now in your /Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php file you need to add (can add it at the end before the ? >)
$txt['whois_ip2location'] = '<b>IP 2 Location (all regions)</b>';
you will need to add it to each themes modifications file if you use other themes

I know this is an old post but any ip search site you want is possible to link into this all you need to know is how it searches the ip address for example:
Quote from: wandawill on September 20, 2009, 01:26:26 PM
thanks for the great mod. I'm wondering if this tracking site could be used in this mod.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

This is possible by the following: in the same place as the search part above put this in
'whatisipaddress' => array(
'name' => &$txt['whatis_ipaddress'],
'url' => 'http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/' . $context['ip'],
'range' => array(),
),

now in your /Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php file you need to add
$txt['whatis_ipaddress'] = '<b>What is my IP Address</b>';
you will need to add it to each theme

you can use that as a template for other sites

sharks

Can someone please take over this great mod and finally update it? It badly needs a permission system, so that moderators are allowed to use it. Currently, only admins see the IP 2 Location option in members' profiles.

tMicky

are there up to date alternatives to this mod?

Deprecated

This mod package is scheduled for update to SMF 2.0.6 compatibility in the near future. In fact I need it myself! It's one of my favorite mods to get the low down on spammers! :)

Hang in there, I've got 26 packages to update. (Actually 25, I already updated one and will post it perhaps today.)

Please note that I do not support SMF 1.x any more so 1.x users will have to manually install.

Deprecated

This mod package is now updated to SMF 2.0.7. (Also 2.0.6.)

It's not locked for SMF 1.x and I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work for all SMF 1.x forums. Just don't go past any error messages. Please post in this topic if you have any error messages.

Remember, if you register at the IP2Location website you get a larger quota of look-ups for free.

I really like this mod because it can tell you a lot about ppl on your forum, particularly if you're worried that they're spammers.

Please report if you encounter any problems with this mod. I didn't change any of the code but it would reassure me if I get no trouble feedback. (If you like it you can donate a few bucks.) :)

ApplianceJunk

Cool, thanks!

Do you own IP2Location too?

Thanks again,

busterone

Deprecated

You're welcome! And no, I don't own IP2Location. They are a commercial service. They allow 20 free look-ups per day for anybody, 100 per day if you register a free account with them.

My mod package merely integrates them as a whois server in the SMF control panel. The mod simply takes advantage of a free service provided to the public as an incentive to purchase their more detailed analysis databases. The more free lookups is an incentive to provide more product to get you more interested.

You should note that each of your mods/admins gets their own free look-ups, and each can register their own free account, so look-ups are not per forum, they're per mod or admin.

For me this package is a "must have!" It allows me to distinguish single persons with multiple accounts, and it allows me to distinguish foreign country posters (usually spammers) from my usual user database.

And what the heck, I'm nosy about my members. Sometimes I wonder where they're coming from (both metaphysically and geographically) and this mod tells me where their ISP is located.

Note that some ISPs use such wide IP information that their IP2Location data is useless, but 90% of the time they are spot on! :)

ApplianceJunk

A few days ago one of our members started a topic titled, "Where is every one located" that is fairly popular on our site.

Kind of cool to see how accurate the IP info is with what they are posting for their location.

Deprecated

Their location data varies depending on the ISP. AOL for example often provides their corporate location and nothing else. If you look up an AOL user you can probably be certain the location is unreliable.

But IP2Location's site works well about 95% of the time. They locate me about 10 miles from where I really am, different postal zone but local to me. If you had a nuke and dropped it on my IP2Location identified site, chances are you'd get me if you had enough MT energy delivery.

Good thing most ppl don't own nukes!

I wish I could afford one of their paid databases, but the public demo database is pretty good!

Deprecated

I have a new mod I'm working on that takes this a step further... But I'm going to tease everybody and not tell..

This has been one of my favorite mods, so useful, yet simple enough it has endured all the way to SMF 2.0.9 and probably last at least until 2.1 and maybe past then too.

Just to remind everybody, last time I looked, you can do 20 free look-ups but if you register a free account you can do 100 look-ups per day. And that is per person not per forum, so if you have several mods and admins, each can register and you could do hundreds of look-ups between you all.

If nothing else, it's just fun sometimes to figure out your members and satisfy your curiosity where they are coming from.

The new mod I have in mind would work in parallel with this mod, not replace or obsolete it.

Deprecated

Quote from: sharks on November 27, 2011, 05:29:15 AM
Can someone please take over this great mod and finally update it? It badly needs a permission system, so that moderators are allowed to use it. Currently, only admins see the IP 2 Location option in members' profiles.

It's been so long I forgot this request. I think it should work for all staff. Maybe I'll update it and put it in the mod menu.

Shambles

Quote from: Deprecated
If nothing else, it's just fun sometimes to ... satisfy your curiosity where they are coming from.
The usefulness of these types of IP check seems to be gradually waning as more and more folk access via proxy or corporate networks, as I see on my forums.

Take my current IP, for example. It's 15.203.169.124 (as mods here will confirm). Where does that say I'm "coming from" ?

Deprecated

Well you are right. And just for amusement, if anybody checks my IP address right now you will discover I'm coming from Moscow RU. But in reality I'm a California boy! :)

I'm a subscriber to ibVPN.com and the prices are quite reasonable, particularly for regional packages.

Note also, you don't need this modification for anybody to look up the location. Just visit http://ip2location.com and plug in the IP address. All my mod does is add a handy means of integrating it into your SMF.

Any moderator who has access to IP addresses should be able to use the mod, is there a permission for "track IP?"

Deprecated

I'm back in California now. I just wanted to add, ibVPN or it's competitors are not a tool to evade forum bans although they can be used for that. I subscribe because of the increasing tracking by numerous agencies that I feel violate my privacy, and also a VPN is handy to access websites that have purposefully locked out your country. For example, after getting so much hassling about DMCA one file download site flat out decided to block out US. That's pretty silly because DMCA only applies in US. It has no force beyond US borders. DMCA is the US act of Congress that authorized the US to join an international treaty dedicated to the enforcement of copyrights. Somehow the world wide thing got tagged DMCA.

Another reason is many repressive countries deny access to various sites to their citizens, but a VPN can get around that. This is particularly good for streaming media. ... But I digress. I hope the OP doesn't get mad at me. ;)

villasg

Hello .
Just updated from 1.1.21 to 2.0.10 .
I use this mod in old smf installation .
I ask if this mod work with last smf 2.0.10 version .
Thanks a lot

Deprecated

Ask the OP. It works in MY 2.0.10 forum. ;)

villasg

Thanks installed without errors and work OK

Deprecated

By the way, I was joking. I am the OP, it's my mod. It's a simple but useful mod. It hasn't needed any changes since its first release. I'll be surprised if there is ever a 2.0.x release it won't work with.

Since I don't know what 2.1 will bring we will wait and see.

Advertisement: